3rd party battery ?

Justa1972

• 1 month later...

Hi Justa.

The answer is "Yes" and "No". If you want to better understand this message problem (and a DIY "fix" for it), you can find it in an article I wrote:

https://domvarney.com/2019/04/14/the-great-battery-brawl/

It's very long, but just scroll through to Section 6 "Power Capability". Your problem can be addressed with a small piece of tape.

Hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Dom-X said:

... you can find it in an article I wrote:

https://domvarney.com/2019/04/14/the-great-battery-brawl/

It's very long, but just scroll through to Section 6 "Power Capability". Your problem can be addressed with a small piece of tape.

Hope this helps.

Your patience and meticulous dedication to detail is remarkable, sir. 

• 1 month later...

Agreed, this is a good article.

I’ve experienced some fairly reliable camera shutdowns with the red battery warning icon as a result of using 3rd party batteries and shooting in 4K. The only way I’ve been able to mitigate this issue is to attach a USB-C external battery, in which case the camera is being powered by the USB battery or simply use a Fuji NP-W126S. It seems to have something to do with sustained current draw because the battery appears fine at first and then degrades rather quickly after that where you can power the camera back on but good luck shooting any more sustained video. I’ve tried turning off additional features that could draw lots of power but it’s not good enough for use in 4K.

I’ve also had bulging third party batteries as per Dom’s article but no issue with the Fuji battery.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After reading many of the comments and experiencing some of the issues, I took a chance and purchased two FUJIFILM 126s batteries offered at around $ 20 each from a couple of e-bay vendors.

I was aware that they could possibly be counterfeit,  but I gave them a try with the attitude that if so I am likely to get similar service as the aftermarket ones. If they were really Fujifilm batteries I would get service that compares with the OEM supplied with my X-T2. Because of my shooting style I don't get near the rated capacity of any battery including the OEM

On arrival I inspected them side by side with the original and it was identical in every way, down to the etched production information on the end with the orange dot.

After a few weeks of service, I have been keeping track of capacity and performance and so far they are slightly better than my original, which is two years old. 

Most notable is that the capacity indicator decreases just like my original down to a blinking red when near empty. My other aftermarket batteries (Bonicell & Kastar) would die at any time after showing 50% depleted.

I have always used a USB charger since purchasing my first aftermarket batteries, with no apparent harm to the OEM but I have had swelling with the aftermarket and would immediately discard the battery. It should be noted that Kastar sent me a replacement (without return) when I reported swelling . (Im looking for the cord for the AC Fujifilm Charger and will put it back in service to see if any difference occurs. I'm much better informed thanks to George P's research )

One thing to mention is I don't do video, so I cant report the performance differences.

So far ,So good . If these are actual Fujifilm 126s Batteries, and they seem to be, it was a good deal at $20 +/- .

Time will tell.

Bob

• 9 months later...

Me Again,

Almost 3 years with my xt2 and just finished 2 months in the English North country. Trying to be creative during the Pandemic and taking regular walks shooting flowers, landscape and family.

About the batteries: The 126 & 126 s batteries are virtually the same with the "s" having more output. I still have my original plus 2 OEM branded and 4 aftermarket (Kastar & Bonicell) all still going and rotated regularly. There has been no swelling with my remaining aftermarket batteries, but I do notice they only last about 80% +or - as long as the OEM.

Note: Since my July 16,2019 post I have used both the OEM Fujifilm AC charger and the USB dual charger supplied with my Kastar batteries with no apparent difference in charging time, heat, or battery capacity when fully charged.

If you haven't checked out the link in George P's early post, do it when you can...………. great info.