Any recommendation on a camera backpack?

I am going on a long trip in the states, and would like to ask if there is any good camera+laptop backpack as recommendation?

I use a xt-20, with 2 lenses (23mmf2, and 16mmf14) + 13" macbook. 

My budget is around USD100-200. 

Would like a light, "not too big" backpack. 

Thank you!

Edited by feeoohgrafi

• 5 months later...

I have two backpacks that I use depending on the circumstances. Neither is a "photo backpack." I find that when I'm traveling, I want versatility. Most backpacks (within my price range) that are labeled as being for photography are rather poor at other tasks. If I'm going to be doing some hiking and outdoors stuff while traveling, I have an Osprey Stratos 24 with a Tenba camera insert that works really well. This combo has really performed well for me in places like the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia. Holds my camera, several lenses, accessories, rain jacket, water, etc. It also has a built-in rain cover. It's incredibly comfortable and easy to properly balance the load. I do need to take it off to put the camera away, but I don't mind that much in these situations. This Osprey-Tenba combo would fit easily within your budget.

For more urban travel situations, I tend to prefer a small 15L GoRuck pack, which is a bit expensive, but it is absolutely the most durable and toughest pack I've ever owned. It's small, and not at all flashy, but it will hold a camera and a couple lenses, 13" MacBook Pro, and small accessories with room to spare for a light rain shell. I'm 5'10" and it would probably be too small for anyone taller than me. It does easily fit under an airplane seat as a "personal item" though, which the Osprey will not. That's why I took this pack and a carry-on bag for a week-long trip to the Faroe Islands this year. It did not let me down even though it's usually my preferred bag for more urban travel. GoRuck bags are rather expensive and fall outside your designated price range though.

• 8 months later...
On 8/15/2019 at 3:21 PM, Nero said:

I have two backpacks that I use depending on the circumstances. Neither is a "photo backpack." I find that when I'm traveling, I want versatility. Most backpacks (within my price range) that are labeled as being for photography are rather poor at other tasks. If I'm going to be doing some hiking and outdoors stuff while traveling, I have an Osprey Stratos 24 with a Tenba camera insert that works really well. This combo has really performed well for me in places like the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia. Holds my camera, several lenses, accessories, rain jacket, water, etc. It also has a built-in rain cover. It's incredibly comfortable and easy to properly balance the load. I do need to take it off to put the camera away, but I don't mind that much in these situations. This Osprey-Tenba combo would fit easily within your budget.

For more urban travel situations, I tend to prefer a small 15L GoRuck pack, which is a bit expensive, but it is absolutely the most durable and toughest pack I've ever owned. It's small, and not at all flashy, but it will hold a camera and a couple lenses, 13" MacBook Pro, and small accessories with room to spare for a light rain shell. I'm 5'10" and it would probably be too small for anyone taller than me. It does easily fit under an airplane seat as a "personal item" though, which the Osprey will not. That's why I took this pack and a carry-on bag for a week-long trip to the Faroe Islands this year. It did not let me down even though it's usually my preferred bag for more urban travel. GoRuck bags are rather expensive and fall outside your designated price range though.

Old thread, but I’d like to know which Tenba you have in your Stratos - is it the 10 or 13?

Cheers. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 10:48 AM, casperghst42 said:

Old thread, but I’d like to know which Tenba you have in your Stratos - is it the 10 or 13?

Cheers. 

I have the 10. I don't think the 13 will fit. The 10 fits tightly into the bottom of the pack, which is good because it won't get shaken around.

For smaller sets the Thule Aspects are great. Good price too and Swedish design and quality. Furthermore ThinkTank has a few good options. The Urban Access and the Streetwalkers are very good but perhaps a bit expensive. My favorites are Peak Design EveryDays (backpack and slings). Very comfortable and solid, but could be too expensive. You may want to look for the V1 versions. The V2's are introduced last year and the V1's are still available with nice discounts. I have the ThinkTank Perception which is great for smaller mirrorless sets, but not produced anymore. If you can still find them, it's a great buy. They come in three sizes. For your set the smaller or medium sized are best suited.

Edited by Herco

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Own twelve bags now.  And that's down from the 14 I've sold.  My two favorite backpacks are the CHEAP Amazon basics camera backpack for under 20.00 US which I've used for seven years now. And my newest addition, much to the consternation of my much better half, is a Manfrotto BeFree camera backpack.  The BEST part of the Be Free is the camera compartment opens FROM THE REAR so when you put it down in the muds, or snow, or water, and then put it back on, your back stays clean.  So far, this bag is my all-time favorite.  It has compartments for my camera gear, drone, laptop up to 15", iPad, and the top portion has a smaller compartment where I keep my headlamp, hat, bug spray, drone remote and spare drone batteries. 

After three months of use I have to say it's my favorite so far.

One addition: I just purchased the compact Lowepro m-trekker bp 150 for a ridiculous low price in Switzerland (CHF 39) and it is amazing for smaller mirrorless sets like my x-pro2 with 3 or 4 lenses and some accessories. Very flexible compartments, back opening, easy accessible top compartment for small items, drink bottle pouches, straps for tripod, integrated rain cover and comfortable straps and padding. 

Edited by Herco

• 4 months later...