Advantages of lower resolution sensor

ken1921

Hi

I often notice in camera comparison reviews under 'advantages of the lower resolution camera' comments such as..

Fujifilm X100S advantages over Fujifilm X100F

BIGGER PIXELS ~ 4.82 vs 3.93 MICRONS
Better low-light and dynamic range (all else equal)

So is this generally true of lower resolution sensors and is the lower light advantage significant?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That belief has been pretty thoroughly debunked over the years, but some people just won't let go. Yes, on a per-pixel basis, there will be less noise with larger pixels. But on a per-square-cm basis, the noise is the same. [It might have been true in ye olden dayes before microlenses became standard on sensors, because of the big gaps between pixels.]

However, that is assuming that the entire sensor is always being read. If you're doing video and the camera is using line-skipping, then you won't have the in-between lines to help smooth out the noise. There's no real advantage to having more pixels than you're going to record, and that's often the case for video.

Also, phase-detect AF cannot be averaged over multiple pixels, because it's specifically looking for differences between neighboring pixels. So you'll get better low-light PDAF performance with larger pixels, albeit with reduced precision.

Resolution really only has to do with the number of megapixels accessed by the camera's operating system. The size of the sensor plays a key role in the quantity and quality of the light captured. A full-frame sensor with 24 megapixels will have a noticeably enhanced image compared to that of an APS-C or m4/3 sensor, as each pixel on the full-frame sensor is capable of capturing more information from the scene due to a larger surface area. Likewise, a 16 megapixel APS-C sensor will have larger pixels than a same-sized sensor with 24 megapixels, allowing for the capture of more light at each pixel location, allowing for a potentially greater dynamic range -  at the expense of fine detail (resolution). Various hardware improvements, such as backside illumination (BSI), have helped to offset the loss of pixel surface area regarding low-light performance in some cameras, and the ever increasing onslaught of software solutions have helped to reduce or eliminate the advantages of the lower resolution sensors in low-light settings. I can't say that my X-T2 suffers in comparison with my X-E2S regarding light performance, and the resolution is decidedly better with the 24 megapixels of the X-T2 compared to the 16 of the X-E2S. The sensor processing engine in the case of the X100S vs. the X100F (EXR II vs. X-Processor Pro, respectively) will more than compensate for the pixel size difference, I'm thinking.