Is the DMC-GX8 the X-Pro2 I've been waiting for?

Tom

Its very interesting glass does play a major part in these decisions I love my fuji lens and the only lens I miss from M4/3 is teh Leica 25mm, don't get me wrong the Fuji 35mm is outstanding and in fact I would say a more versatile lens, but that 25mm just did nice things :)

Interestingly for me being a big fan of M4/3 and having recently pulled the trigger on an LX100 only to send it back, the main advantage of M4/3 now for me is the video, Fuji can't touch it. However I like to have only one camera at a time I like the economy of knowing it intimately and given i often shoot with family in tow, I don't want to be overencumbered etc. That is just me though not knocking having loads of cameras the gear wh*re in me would love that :)

So i gave up on the LX100 path and decided to wait for X-Pro2/X-T2 because I really hope that they will knock 4k out the park. they have obviously decided to focus on it and for me that could be a big problem for M4/3. I looked around a lot before buying into Fuji system I had a M4/3 system and sadly it was all stolen. Due diligence made me look to market before jumping back in and also changing requirement I had bough M4/3's at a time when video was my main goal, ownership of that system caused me to fall in love with still photography. So I looked round and narrowed it down to Sony, Pana or Fuji FF/APS-C or M4/3 ultimately I went with Fuji as the balance of IQ, colours, lens quality and size was best. I took the hit on video figuring that I would get a cheap (ish) Pana body to fill that gap.

Now lets fast forward a year from now the X-Pro 2 is out, the X-T2 is out, and pretend I have the same decision again, it would be even easier. ALl the above advantages plus 4k.

I am salivating at the prospect of a decent Fuji Video implementation. I know that 4k is not a panacea it will have to have decent bitrates, codec and hopefully avoid line skipping. However I just bought the 10-24mm lens and its such a great lens the thought of shooting 4k through that lens on a 20/24Mp sensor is just jaw droppping.

I know a lot of you don't care about video, but I tell you something look at what the GH1 did for Panasonic, and the 5D mkii for Canon, I don't think that can be a bad thing, becasue we all want Fuji to make lots of lovely money so they can give us even more amazing cameras and lenses :)

Sadly I think it will hit Panasonic worse than Oly, as Oly are catching up on video and have nicer bodies overall and then you will have Fuji/Sony and Samsung with very strong video offerings.

G

I'm with you on importance of Fuji implementing good video. I'd sell all my MFT gear and buy more Fuji gear if they could only improve the video output. Can't see it happening.... but it doesn't stop me dreaming. 

The one big advantage Fuji has over M43 is very clean files at base ISO.   An ISO 200 image from my X-A1 (yes I know bayer CFA) kicks my OMD out of the park when you pixel peek.  With the G8 moving to a higher resolution sensor I wouldn't expect to see the base ISO noise getting any better.

The one big advantage Fuji has over M43 is very clean files at base ISO.   An ISO 200 image from my X-A1 (yes I know bayer CFA) kicks my OMD out of the park when you pixel peek.  With the G8 moving to a higher resolution sensor I wouldn't expect to see the base ISO noise getting any better.

The sensor size still helps quite a lot in the high ISO quality. With equal technology, the large sensor will always do better. Nowaday, if you were to compare even my old and aging D5000 with the newer Nikon AW1, at 1600 ISO, the smaller AW1 is a lot better than the APS-C sensor size D5000 and there was only 4 years in between them.

That being said, I have seen a few high ISO shots on the GX8 and I have to say that they look good, not nitpicky good but still decent enough for most usage.

Having choices is a good thing. I don't think a person should restrict themselves to one brand if they can help it. Over a long period of time multiple systems are possible and affordable. You don't need to buy everything at once. Now that I don't feel guilty spending the money, here is why it's a good thing.

I'd been using a Leica R lens 50mm/2  on my Pany G5 with excellent results. I decided to get an adapter for the Fuji E-1. First thing I noticed that the Fuji/Leica combo was awkward to use and that manual focus was less precise VS my Pana/Leica combo. The body on the G5 is small, but comfortable to use and the focusing was more fun, easier and more precise. Images are great.

But, bottom line, I am mostly a Fuji guy with a bunch of Fuji lenses that I love using most days. I am happy to have found such excellent use for my Pana G5. I have a couple Pana, but don't use those that much. So there are other reason's than video to choose a different manufacturer. Would I buy a GX8 ? I'd have to try that Leica lens in it first to see how it feels.

There is nothing wrong with owning lots of cameras and gear if that is what you want.

Its not for me though. I need stills and video in a single package, or not at all.

I shoot 80% of the time with my family in tow. To that end I go out with 1 camera and never more than 3 lens, most often only 2, if someone put a gun to my head I would happily go out with just the 35mm and be done with it.

Maybe are am artificially limiting my options, but I find that from that limitation comes 2 very real benefits. Marital harmony and creativity, you tend to work better when you have to work around limitations :)

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has a grain of truth to it (if you are talking about RED of Black Magic etc) but the reason why, for example, I shoot with a Panasonic is that I get incredible video output, decent stills (not as good stills as Fuji, but pretty damn fine) smaller/ lighter lenses (PanaLeica - great) and familiar handling all in one camera.

If I know I'm only going out to shoot stills I take my Fuji X-T1 or X-Pro1, for sure. I even use Fuji in the studio (sold my Canon gear a couple of years ago).  

But more and more, I go out to shoot wanting the option of stills or video and only want to take one system with me. The reality is that I'm going to use what's in my hands. And increasingly that's my Panasonic. I'm not a video professional: all I want is

1) Nice clean output

2) Minimal to no moire/ aliasing

3) Manual control during shooting

4) 'Neutral' mode suitable for grading in post-production

5) 4K

Note that 4K comes last on the list. I can record audio separately so I haven't even put mic/ headphone sockets in. Getting rid of that moire is far more important than upgrading the feature set Fuji! 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally used the GX8. It's a great product except for Panasonic's images. Good for video, not so great for stills.

If Fuji took the GX8 and put the X-Pro2 sensor in there + Fuji colours, I don't doubt there would be a market for it.

• 1 month later...

Panasonic presented the Lumix DMC-GX8 - and it looks like a modern version of my X-Pro1. Same size. Same weight.  The GX8 has everything I would expect from the X-Pro2 . Except for the sensor. Is mFT an alternative?

I only grabbed the camera in a store and took a few pics but what I can definitively say this cam has the best viewfinder of all mirrorless cameras I ever tested - way better than my Sony A7r2 and better than Fuji Xt1 as well. If M43 is sufficient you have decide. If the high res mode from the Olympus E5m2 ever will be posssible handheld than m43 is for sure an interesting system - great lens selction, small and a dream for tele junkies :)

[...]has the best viewfinder of all mirrorless cameras I ever tested - way better than my Sony A7r2 and better than Fuji Xt1 as well[...]

I am really not certain that the EvF of the GX8 would be that much better, on paper they are pretty much the same, the real differences comes when taking video where Panasonic truely outshine Fuji but for stills ? I highly doubt it would be that much better.

Panasonic presented the Lumix DMC-GX8 - and it looks like a modern version of my X-Pro1. Same size. Same weight.  The GX8 has everything I would expect from the X-Pro2 . Except for the sensor. Is mFT an alternative?

Can you elaborate on what it is you "expect from the X-Pro2" that is in the GX8 and not already in the X-T1 or X-E2 ?

To me the X-Pro line is all about the hybrid viewfinder and hypothetically some "beefed up" features such as bigger battery, double card slot etc. I'm not a huge fan of the GX8's view finder especially with this big protruding eyecup. Given sensor size and all that, I don't see it competing with the X-Pro2 but that may just be me. We all have different styles of shooting and different pet features.