dnaeye

Fuji X-T3 lack of IBIS - big deal?

I'm looking to buy the X-T3, but every review and comparison with other cameras like the Sony A7III mention how their having IBIS is a critical advantage over the X-T3's lack of IBIS. Is the lack of IBIS such a big deal in either photos or videos? Can OIS in lenses like the kit 18-55 2.4-4 compensate for that? And is the A7III's IBIS that good? Is it better than OIS in Fuji lenses? Keep in mind that I do not want to spend a lot of money on a gimbal and just want to keep my photography simple.

I'm purely a stills guy, so nothing I say applies to video.

I used to be a real cheerleader for IBIS. These days I really don't pay much attention to its presence. I shoot a lot of low-light stuff, but since I'm often shooting non-static subjects (people or vehicles), IBIS adds nothing for me. I moved from an A7II to an X-T1 and have yet to notice the lack of IBIS.

I can count on one hand the number of shots I have got because of IBIS. A couple really good ones, but it's very rare that I look at a missed shot with my Fuji's (or the Nikon's I've been shooting for most of the last 3-4 years) and thought 'I could have got that with IBIS'. 

And yes, OIS is equally effective on the lenses that have it.

Don't get me wrong, if you shoot a lot of low-light static subjects IBIS is invaluable. The video guys love it because it makes their manual lenses a lot better for video. For long-lens work IBIS and OIS are practically a requirement to avoid silly shutter speeds.