Fujifilm will launch the first X series camera with 1” sensor in about 3 months (Anonymous Source)

Patrick FR

Good afternoon

Panasonic FZ 1000 or SONY RX 10 competition if a fixed long lens?

The P900 is a whopping 83x  telescope with a 1 - 2/3 sensor behind i think i read

Nikon have interchangable lens system based on the 1 in standard if think i read the specs. right - with an 800mm equivalent lens!

What goal for the fuji?

David

The X serie was defined by the new lens mount, the XF mount.

So it could be that the remored new 1" camera might be able to use the XF line of lenses ? I don't know, it's pure speculation anyway.

Good afternoon

Panasonic FZ 1000 or SONY RX 10 competition if a fixed long lens?

The P900 is a whopping 83x  telescope with a 1 - 2/3 sensor behind i think i read

Nikon have interchangable lens system based on the 1 in standard if think i read the specs. right - with an 800mm equivalent lens!

What goal for the fuji?

David

Yes, the P900 is a 1/2.3" sensor but it's also backside illuminated, which helps greatly with low light, considering how far the lens extends on the P900, it's is really much welcomed.

The Nikon 1 70-300 (189-810mm FF equiv) is rather impressive but one could do slightly better with any FX mount long range lens.

But as said, I really don't see how Fuji is going to make itself come out if they do release something like that.

The Nikon 1 70-300 (189-810mm FF equiv) is rather impressive but one could do slightly better with any FX mount long range lens.[/size]

There are both pros and cons. How did you conclude to "slightly better with ANY" FX long range lens. Which better points are you talking about? Which worse points are you dismissing for ANY Long range FX range?

Price, weight, iq, AF speed and accuracy, low light performance, depth of field, lens rendering, bokeh, weather resistance, VR performance, corner performance wide open, etc?

There are both pros and cons. How did you conclude to "slightly better"? Which better points are you talking about? Which worse points are you dismissing?

Price, weight, iq, AF speed, low light performance, weather resistance, etc.

Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens, about half the price of the Nikkor 1 70-300 and about a sharp, yes it's heavier but at when you are at that point, you don't really care having a weird looking Nikon 1 with a super long range zoom.

Or if you want to get even cheaper, AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, no longer VR but heck it's about 1/5th of the price of the Nikkor 1 70-300 and again, just as sharp a tiny bit lighter.

Of course you would need that FT mount adapter but it is worth the price if want a small wildlife camera body.

The cons is obviously the size and weight but the Nikkor 1 70-300 is already big and chunky, so you wouldn't feel too much differences.

I think Fuji can succeed in the same way as they have done in APC-S. While both Canon and Nikon were doing half hearted support in APS-C glass compared to FF, Fuji went all in.

The same is happening in 1". Nikon has always treated this market with half hearted support. If Fuji went all with quality interchangeable 1" fast glass with fast AF using the new Sony stacked sensors, I believe they would get a lot of new customers. I don't think there is much point competing on price basis with the likes of Sony and Panasonic on fixed lens 1" cameras.

At the current moment, Fuji is at a sate of "Can't really mess up that badly anymore" which gives them some leeway but can be also unforgiving if they do mess up badly.

The X-T1 is commonly agreed to be a great camera, the X-100 series still has a lot of fans and all 3 models are seeing decent sales on regular basis, even the X-Pro1 is much loved.

It's not often that we see a company releasing that many bodies that are all well loved by the general community, the only other company I can think of is Sony which seems to be pushing out a new body of the A7 series every 6 months.

But before the X series, the imaging department of Fuji wasn't really that developing, they were clearly loosing ground against Canikon and the smaller sensor was, and still is, dominated by the m4/3 cameras with an ocean worth of lenses. This makes the whole smaller than APS-C market rather crowded and one would need to be really striking to leave a mark.

As for the Nikon being half hearted on the Nikon 1 series, I am rather unconvinced, they have released consistent camera bodies, clearly lots of experimenting but the glass is there to back it up. The first iteration was rather bad and ppl still use the awful Nikkor 1 10-30mm to measure the system while there have been better lenses released afterward, the 32mm F1.2 sure is pricey but I swear I can pull picture of it that won't be a shame to put next of FF cameras, the wide angle zoom is also very impressive, the distortion is kept to a minimum, absolutely no vignetting and CA needs to be hunted for.

On the other Canon is just joking around when they made that EOS-M series, pretty much everything on the series is awful, mostly because of that awful sensor (Please Canon stop making sensors, just stops, it's getting embarrassing. Sincerely, The rest of the Photography world).

Darknj,

Weight added to N1 kit:

N1 CX 70-300: 560g total

FX 70-300 + FT1: 745g + 150g = 895g total

Length added to N1 kit:

N1 CX 70-300: 108mm total

FX 70-300 + FT1: 144mm + 42.5mm = 186.5mm total

Also not sure about your 70-300 FX copy but mine get dramatically softer above 200mm and focus accuracy is hit and miss on the long end when shooting sports.

In terms of IQ, I feel my Fuji X-T1 w/ XF 55-200 smokes my D600 w/ FX 70-300 at all equiv focal lengths. Especially on the long end. Although my N1 V2 makes my X-T1 w/ 4.0 FW look like a joke when it comes to shooting action sports outside.

Imagine what Fuji could do with good fast zooms on a 1" stacked sensor.

Agreed about the N1 32mm prime. However, I'm not all that interested in fast primes as much as faster zooms on 1" from Nikon. Which are no where to be seen. Same goes with Nikon DX and Canon EF crop. Half hearted attempts imho.

What to do with X100T and each model below, in the current Fuji list? All with glued lens, so no mount appears. And all within "X Fujifilm" series as an opposite to "FinePix" series.

[...]Imagine what Fuji could do with good fast zooms on a 1" stacked sensor.[...]

Agreed, if they do release it, I will be heavily looking into it and which lens system they are going to use.

As for the N1 and FX 70-300 VRII version, I didn't noticed that much softness, on a FF body it does show, but on a the N1 it is still decent in my books.

But as I said, the biggest con is the weight and size of the N1 + FT mount and FX lens but I usually have a monopod or a tripod when I need to shoot at over 300mm, handheld doesn't really work that well with me on such lengthy zooms.

• 3 months later...