Does anyone still shoot film?

FujiAlan

With the enthusiasm of film cameras coming back, I am curious how many members here shoot film recreationally?

I was thinking that it is technically possible to create a range of film Fuji X and GF point and shoots.  It will vignette on the frame but in a slide mount you always get some crop anyway.  You also won’t get the benefit of lens corrections.

They could also print shot settings in a frame around the film the way the old GA645i’s did for MF.  

It would be low volume but could be a collector priced item for the 10 year anniversary of X.

X Model  

- optical viewfinder without coupling with crop marks for 23/35/56

- laser active AF

- MF with actual distance information for hyperfocal imaging

- dials for shutter and iso and exposure compensation

- center weighted meter off the shutter

- thyristor based flash

NP-W126S battery

———

Premium  GF

Optical range finder model for GFX lenses

- np-T125

——

Even though Fuji would not need a LCD screen or sensor, it would be low volume so my guess is that it still would be foolishly expensive.

The entry level machine would basically have the sophistication of a quicksnap flash but with electronics to drive the lens and aperture and laser AF.  This would be like an 80s era $100-150 P&S.  I think this doable at $1000.

The high end machine might be expensive due to the optical range finder.  When Nikon did its S3 2000, it was $5000 including a really special lens but that was 2000 when film was stronger than it is now.  So I don’t think it makes sense to do a X based optical range finder and Fuji would need to do a 120mm film option. My gut is that it would be $2500-$3000 based upon the cost of the GF670.  I am not sure how many they would sell but again, it would be a way to celebrate Fuji’s heritage in film emulsion in a way that their competitors cannot, enhancing the cachet of Fuji and emphasize again the Fuji lens quality.

(I would have to imagine that the volumes of these cameras would exceed the volumes of Leica LCD-free M10D and I would hope that Fuji could build these cameras around the chassis of the XE-3 or GFX50R to reuse as much tooling as possible.)

Thoughts? Would you buy one? What would you pay for one?

I shot about 50 rolls last year - 35mm and 120 mostly but also 110, 16mm and 5X7.

Two of my main cameras are Fujis - a GAS690III 6X9 120 camera and a G617 6X10 120 panorama camera.  The last one is my favorite camera and it is going on a shoot today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

BTW- Here's a good comparison.

One is a Fuji XH-1 and the other a Pentax 67 medium format film camera.

Shots were taken years apart.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I shot and developed 40 rolls last year.  I shoot 35mm with an assortment of cameras and 120 with two Fujis.

My 6 X 9 format is a Fuji GSW690 III.  With fixed lens and rangefinder style, it is like my  X100 cameras on steroids.  The camera is sometimes nick-named the Texas Leica."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The most fun camera that I shoot is in 6 X 17 format, the Fuji G617.  It is a huge camera with what looks like a "roll cage" around the lens.  Everything is manual; focus, f/stop, shutter speed and shutter - you have to manually cock it like old press cameras.

I get great shots on both.

• 2 months later...