Image back up whilst travelling

Qiki

Hi All. I have a month of travel/photography planned for later this year and am keen to come up with a plan for backing up my images while I'm away. In the past I've used multiple memory cards and have downloaded images to a laptop every few days, but with file sizes as they are (particularly RAWs) this is a slow process. Same problem with backing up to the cloud. So, what do others do? I'm know that there's hard drives that can be written to direct from SD cards, but the seem pretty expensive. Don't mind paying the money if they're reliable and fast, but don't want to fork over a bunch of cash only to find they're no better than my laptop solution.

TIA.

When I don't take a laptop I use a Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA II drive with 1TB hard disk which has slots for SD and CF cards and has a (fairly rudimentary) 3.2" LCD screen. But it's very portable and has proved reliable so far (I've had it since 2015). I've no idea if it's still available though. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by glospete

• 2 months later...

I'm on the road about 3-6 months as a stock and travel photographer.  Honestly, if I take a laptop, it's too much for me.  I don't do anything other than SEPARATE my SD cards from my camera and lens back pack/ or camera bags.  Once I take a memory card out of the camera it gets put in my pocket-rocket upside down and the pocket rocket literally SLEEPS with me.  I don't feel like dealing with laptops, iPads, chargers, etc. etc. I focus on making images.  I have enough memory cards to shoot about 15 Gigs worth of images per trip.  This has served me very well in three weeks in Costa Rican jungle, Alaska,  Everglades, Florida Keys, Canada, Prince Edward Island, Nevada, California for three weeks in the Sierra Nevada mountains, etc. And this was just in 2018.  How many images have I lost:  ZERO.  EVER.  And, i've been doing this since 2004.  I'm headed to Germany and Iceland in a few weeks and again, no laptop, no iPad, no other devices except my iPhone - which has 256G of space in case I want to copy some fuji files over to send to my agents and editors.  

I'm happy with my style.  Many will not be.  But I do feel I'm out there to bring back the bacon, have fun, enjoy my travels; not worry about sh*t like backups, laptops, security, locking things up, etc.  

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.