Do we have any X-users using their X cameras for sports?

Shashinka Ichiban

I have shot an NHL game between the Colorado Avalanche and the St. Louis Blues back in 2014 when the 50-140 had just come out. While I don't remember if version 4.0 was out or not I do know that the results I was very happy with. Now I had a D4 and 200-400mm f/4 also to run along side this combo. But what I can say is that I was very, very hapily surprized with the results that I did get. IF you go to the galleries on the Rumors page and get to about December 14, 2014 you will see about a batch of 6-7 of what I did get. It took a little playing around and it was the first game that I did with it so mind you they are the "result" of trying it for the first time.

I was very, very happy!

Ross

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had success using my X-T1 for Speed skating and Motocross but not so much for hockey. For that I continue to use my Nikon. Mind you, hockey is one of the toughest to photograph unless you're lucky enough to take images at an NHL game and it's demanding for any camera. The lighting is generally poor, you are shooting through plexiglass but the main disadvantage I find is that in hockey, the AF takes a bit too long to acquire since the player can change directions so quickly.

Any sport where the subject is on a predictable path, I feel the X-T1 does a great job!

• 2 months later...

Some recent images taken at Castle Combe circuit with the X-Pro2 + 100-400mm lens.

This is a combination I never expected to be good for sport however now I have used it for airshow work and recently these images, I have the confidence to use this small light combo instead of my large full frame with huge and heavy 150-600 lens.

Cars 12

Cars 16

Cars 10

Cars 23

I had a chance a couple of years back to photograph a hockey game in a remote northern town. The light was minimal, but by pushing a stop in processing was adequate. Thye X-Pro1 and the 60mm f/2.4 was a wonderful combination. With the optical finder, I could see what was happening outside the image frame and make instant adjustments. Zone focus at f/4.0 gave me sharpness from the boards opposite to the point where the players over-ran the frame. Ideal combo for hockey.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...