Two bodies for travel?

Seha

I will be visiting Paris this summer and I'm planning to take as much picture as I can of my wife and kids as well as the beautiful architecture with my X-T20.

The lens I own are:

- 18-55mm

- 16mm f1.4

- 23mm f1.4

- 35mm f1.4 

- 56mm f1.2

I have been very spoiled by the IQ of the Fuji primes and cannot go back to 18-55mm zoom lens. That being said, I was thinking about adding a 2nd body (another X-T20?) with the 23mm f1.4 100% of the time while the other body would rotate between 16mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4. Unfortunately, the 56mm f1.2 and 18-55mm will stay home. 

Have any of you guys been travelling with mutliple bodies? What are your experience? Any other options? What do you think? 

Unless you want to have two camera bodies slung over you in the open everywhere you go, I would probably bring two and carry one with the second just being a backup. This is based mostly on personal preference, so it may not apply to you at all. One of the best things about shooting with primes for me is that I get into a rhythm with a specific focal length and switching back and forth actually results in fewer good images. If I'm going to be in one city for multiple days, I'll go out with my 35mm one day, then use the 23mm on another day with a mental checklist of important things from the first that I want to capture with a wider focal length. I also don't like openly carrying two camera bodies around a foreign city unless it's a professional job. If I have a second body out with me, I'll keep it in my bag until I need to switch, but in that case it's really not significantly different from changing lenses on a single body. So for personal travel my preference is to bring a second body but keep it at the hotel as backup. And I try to just brush off the images that I miss when I'm shooting with primes without an ideal focal length for one specific scene. It's just part of the trade off that comes with the shooting style, wide maximum apertures, and quality of a prime lens. 

Completely agree with Nero.  Take out one lens per day on just one body.  Forces you to take some different angles and you can still enjoy your holiday!  Not sure where you are from but I try to avoid openly carrying too much expensive kit when walking around cities...... (I keep my camera in a simple, unbranded bag too).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally in a situation like that where I'm not actively 'working' and on vacation, I want to be as lightweight and mobile as possible. Again, I'd be shooting for fun, not spending too much time away from my family to take photographs. There'd be no way I'd want to take dual bodies in a scenario like that, personally.
Looking at MY lens selection, I'd pop the 16-55 on during daytime and evening on the XH-1 and take the 23 1.4 for the darkest of allyways and corridors. The 16-55 has that foul weather advantage and I've dealt with that in Paris before.. That'd cover the majority of what I would be up to. If I were you, I'd just take that 18-55 and one good low light lens  and be good to go, that lens isn't bad at all.

If I were to take primes, it'd be the Zeiss 12 (or Fuji 14, whatever), 23 and 56. That would also be an acceptable option, at greater weight expense.

16-55mm: 23.2oz or 1.45 pounds
12, 23, 56:     10.2oz, 11.3oz, 14.3oz   =  35.8oz    or   2.23 pounds
Edited by eurotrash

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, Seha said:

I will be visiting Paris this summer and I'm planning to take as much picture as I can of my wife and kids as well as the beautiful architecture with my X-T20.

I would do it a little differently, with 2 options. (I personally prefer #2)

1) Put the 16mm on one body and 23mm on the other, keeping both cameras with you at all times. I've found the 23mm too narrow at times when shooting scenery and architecture while it's perfect for street and travel in general.

Or,

2) Put the 16mm on the body you own now, sell the 23/1.4, and get an X100F. The X100F is the perfect street/travel camera IMHO. It takes damn good portraits too. This would also lighten your load a bit and allow for a smaller bag, which is terribly important when traveling.