Fuji users cannot apply for real estate photography jobs

stefano.ruffini

I thought  the battle was done and the fact that only full frame cameras are professional was a thing of the past. Unfortunately is not like this. 

I have noticed that in some ads about photographers seeking for real estate photography, the camera required was full frame.  

I am speechless for the incomptence. Doies a 12mp full frame camera give better architectural result the a fuji xt2/3? does a full frame camera of 24mp (maybe with an anti aliasing filter on) give better result then  a fuji? 

I think that, as fuji users, we need to make ourselves loud. It not fair that we cannot apply for jobs when we definitely have gear up to that, 

Cheers 

Stefano

18 hours ago, stefano.ruffini said:

I thought  the battle was done and the fact that only full frame cameras are professional was a thing of the past. Unfortunately is not like this. 

I have noticed that in some ads about photographers seeking for real estate photography, the camera required was full frame.  

I am speechless for the incomptence. Doies a 12mp full frame camera give better architectural result the a fuji xt2/3? does a full frame camera of 24mp (maybe with an anti aliasing filter on) give better result then  a fuji? 

I think that, as fuji users, we need to make ourselves loud. It not fair that we cannot apply for jobs when we definitely have gear up to that, 

Cheers 

Stefano

I suspect that arbitrary requirements such as this are put in place by people who are not photographers and are ignorant about sensor size, ISO and image quality.  They demand cameras with 24x36mm sensors, and for what?  To print 1x1.5 inch photos in real estate promotional magazine or to put on a website?  That's just laughable.

Uninformed people who "know" they are right about something they are ignorant of are next to impossible to educate. 

Are these ads from a potential client that you are interested in ? Send them a fine print from an image taken with your Fuji, with an explanation that for that kind of work your not-full-frame camera is more than fine enough and other things matter much more than the size of the sensor. 

This is the same kind of twattery that we encountered back in the late 80s to early 90s during the days of film.  People who had no clue about any aspect of photography would not hire someone to shoot a job with a 35mm camera - it had to be medium format. 

Why stop at medium format?  Why not only hire photographers who shoot with 8x10 in cameras?  Of course, 11x14 beats 8x10 for image quality; why not demand an 11x14 inch camera?  🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack

• 2 years later...

I have been shooting real estate in North Carolina for 8 years. I have just under 1,000 homes under my belt and for much of that time I have used a succession of Fuji cameras: X-T1, X-T2 and currently X-H1 always with the excellent 10-24mm lens. There is no real advantage to full frame as most images either hit the net on realtor websites. In my case those images that go for print are supplied as TIFF files with a substantial amount of information on them. Those unenlightened people specifying full frame for real estate work have a poor understanding or of the quality images that can come from a CMOS sensor.

I can't believe this is still happening. The APS-C cameras of today are way better than the full frame cameras of a few years ago, and yet they tend to be approved.

Thankfully the agency I freelance for have approved several Fujifilm models, as well as other APS-C cameras. Being a light mirrorless camera it's also a lot more stable on the mast than some of the DSLRs used by other photographers around here. I usually have no problem with a bit of wind. No medium format though as far as I'm aware, so no excuse to get the GFX 🙄🙃

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised to hear that and it certainly isn't the norm from what I've seen in my area of Canada.  The agents I have shot for over the years could care less about my gear and want me from seeing my website images or word of mouth.  They know they get well lit, fast turn around and no distortion images where I help the agent (sometimes) declutter and make small room changes to create better images of the property.  That's what matters as I'm sure everyone on this forum would agree.

I would be temped to do some of those shoots with my Fuji and I would expect no agent to know what sensor is in my camera nor even ask.

I agree. For me, comfort is important first and foremost. I don't think I could live there without https://www.radiatoroutlet.co.uk/, as I have a hard time with the cold. I'm surprised to hear that, and it's definitely not the norm from what I've seen in my area of Canada. The agents I've shot over the years. I would have an urge to take some of these shots with my Fuji, and I'm very curious what questions the agents would ask me.

Edited by georgopal

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...