Best cheap flash with ttl and AF assist for X-T1

Looking to replace some of my canon strobes (550/430) with one that is more versatile on my Fuji.
I especially miss the AF assist feature, wich projects a grid, that allows camera to focus more easily in low light conditions, but does not blind anyone like the built-in useless LED.

I am currently considering Godox TT350 - how well does this feature work?
I am not looking for crazy power, more often I need quite the opposite. TTL + AF Assist and preferably HSS are the main things I am looking for, all else is just a bonus.

Other option I see is Nissin i40 - which is better?

Edited by ajurjans

I would go for a Godox with a Li-Ion Accu and the remote tx (XPro-F). Plenty of reviews on the net. If you don´t insist on HSS and like the idea of something really cheap (and small and light) but well built, look at the Meike MK320 and maybe the FlashQ remote tx/rx (only manual with the FlashQ, TTL when on camera).

Edited by George_P
typo

10 hours ago, George_P said:

I would go for a Godox with a Li-Ion Accu and the remote tx (XPro-F). Plenty of reviews on the net. If you don´t insist on HSS and like the idea of something really cheap (and small and light) but well built, look at the Meike MK320 and maybe the FlashQ remote tx/rx (only manual with the FlashQ, TTL when on camera).

Thank you for your opinion, however, I would appreciate to receive an answer to one or both the questions I asked above. Sadly, your opinion helps not.

8 hours ago, ajurjans said:

Thank you for your opinion, however, I would appreciate to receive an answer to one or both the questions I asked above. Sadly, your opinion helps not.

Sorry, maybe I did not put it in a good way. The Godox flashes work well, that includes the TT350 and the autofocus assist. That is my answer to your first question. I can only give you my opinion but plenty of reviews on the Godox flashes say the same thing. I would suggest one of the models with Li-Ion accus (V350F is the one in similar size and power to the TT350F). That I volunteered as extra information to your question, please disregard it if you do not find it useful. 

I think the Godox are better than the Nissin, in my opinion. That is the answer to your second question. I also volunteered some extra information about the remotes and about the Meike flash, please disregard also it if you do not find it useful. 

On 1/8/2019 at 9:36 PM, George_P said:

Sorry, maybe I did not put it in a good way. The Godox flashes work well, that includes the TT350 and the autofocus assist.

Forst of all, thanks for the ellaborate reply.

Can you describe the working principle of these autofocus assists? As far as I know, some just shine several bright white LEDs, blinding the subject completely. My canon cameras used to have a nice and subtle red lines being projected, which worked really well. The reviews mostly focus on basic stuff which I don't really care that much about, as I'd be using the flash together with optically sinced flash heads for most of the time, however, occasionally I would need to use the flash in ttl mode on camera.

Another principle I would not appreciate is stribing the flash (like Canons' built-in flash does) annoyingly.
We don't have many options on trying these flashes out before buying, thus the question.

I have X-T1, I've hear that does change things.

Sorry, I can not help you directly regarding the TT350. I have the AD200. But this has been said by "dotjon" on a dpreview blog (quote):

Hi,

I just tested this on X-T2 and V860II, and turns out you need to have AF Illuminator enabled also from the camera settings (and obviously enabled on the speedlight). It uses the speedlight led instead of the camera's own. According to the manual, it doesn't work in HSS mode, so that's one more thing to check if this doesn't work for you.

Also, it works great, it's a sharp grid pattern and allows focusing in pretty much pitch black dark without blinding anyone.

Also, the Godox manual says the AF assist beam will work at shutter speeds below 1/200, so not for HSS, apparently. And it should work for the X-T1. If you google around a little, you should be able to find more on this.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4261086

OTOH, this review:  https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-godox-thinklite-tt350f-flash-fujifilm-x-183252

says the direct opposite - that the af beam is too strong. How can two opinions on the same thing be so opposite ? Is it completely different in the V860II vs the TT350 ? I don´t have time to google around, I am considering to stop at a shop to try it out while I will be on the move between two meetings in the city. I will let you know if I manage to do that.

So... I stopped at the shop but I did not get anywhere, because they had only the Nikon version of the TT350 on store and I could not get it to switch on the AF assist beam, neither remote nor direct. There was no Nikon camera on hand (it is a shop that sells studio equipment and strobes, no cameras). The owner confirmed that the TT685 and V860 shine a grid pattern, but he could not say about the TT350. I can not help you further now, I hope someone else will.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:49 PM, George_P said:

I stopped at the shop

Thanks, I never expected anyone to go that far, just shows how great the Fuji community is.

I created this post because of the mixed-bag reviews, I had read the fstoppers one, but really wanted to know/see the pattern. To me it is very surprising that noe of the reviews show this in action.

Thanks once again, I might just wait for a deal, grab one and see for myself.

10 hours ago, ajurjans said:

Thanks, I never expected anyone to go that far, just shows how great the Fuji community is.....

You are welcome. That shop is not far from the routes that I travel. If they will have the Fuji version on stock, I will try again. I am interested to know, I am considering getting the small one myself. 

Yes, I learned several good bits of information from this site when I started with Fuji. I am just a blundering hobbyist, but there are some highly knowledgeable folks around and they post some very beautiful images, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, just an update.

Had a reasonably good offer and went for the Fuji X500 flash unit.
Yes, the AF assist lamp is annoying, but I suppose thats the best one that one gets in mirrorless world.

Am I correct that there is no wireless TTL capable trigger for this flash? As far as I understand, the godox unit communicates over the 2.4g wireless range only (although, id does see to have a sort-of ir window on front) and would not operate with Fuji flashes?

Edited by ajurjans

Update: I tested the Quadralite Stroboss 36F, which afaik is exactly the same as Godox TT350F, and the autofocus assist lamp is really an annoying & "blinding" strong red light (no grid pattern), in accordance with the above mentioned fstoppers.com review.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, ajurjans said:

So, just an update.

Had a reasonably good offer and went for the Fuji X500 flash unit.
Yes, the AF assist lamp is annoying, but I suppose thats the best one that one gets in mirrorless world.

Am I correct that there is no wireless TTL capable trigger for this flash? As far as I understand, the godox unit communicates over the 2.4g wireless range only (although, id does see to have a sort-of ir window on front) and would not operate with Fuji flashes?

As already mentioned above, the bigger Godox speedlights use a grid pattern and according to the reviewers they are neither annoying nor blinding .

The Godox triggers work with Godox strobes and speedlights, they will not work with the Fuji X500.