Fish Eye Lens

TPiorkowski

Hello Forum,

I thought I would invest in a fish eye lens for my X-T2 to try capturing some creative pictures.  I found three on B&H photo and thought I would reach out for some good and bad feedback as to the best one to purchase.

Here are the three I found:

7artisans Photoelectric 7.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye Lens for Fujifilm X @ $139

Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Fisheye II Lens for Fujifilm X Mount  @$249.
Samyang 8mm f/2.8 Fisheye II Lens for Fujifilm X Mount @$239.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Tom,

Samyang and Rokinon are the same product under different branding. They are highly regarded and I think most people would recommend them. I have the Samyang 8mm and 12mm and they are both very good in my opinion. I would recommend the 12mm over the 8mm, it is not a fisheye but it is a more useful lens I think (off topic, sorry). The 7artisans 7.5mm I don’t know. Cheers. 

There are of course many threads where you can actually look at examples.

I have the Samyang (which comes even under many more brands that the ones indicated above). I own a Samyang 8mm and a 12. I have also owned the 10-24mm (which I replaced with the 12mm because I only used it at the widest)

The differences between lenses of this nature in terms of perspective and quality are largely academic. Their use is limited and mostly return special images which rapidly can become boring unless you chose to use this lens VERY carefully which means that you won’t use it much.

• 2 years later...

I've rented the Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye lens from Lens Rental, great lens, correction was great in Lightroom.  This was done using my X-T1 at Two Medicine Lake in Glacier National Park at night.

Before correction

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After correction

Edited by JXPhotoGuy

I got a weird Rise-Spray lens on the Black Friday sale last year.
Did not have high expectations and hey were initially confirmed - the lens while had great build quality, had a bit of play in the mount, so, the focus not always was ideal. Well, that was on my X-T1. I recently upgraded myself to an X-T3, and the play is gone, focus is easy and great, and the IQ is stunning for a €66 lens.

Here are some samples, however, they have undegrone some VSCO processing. X-T1.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ajurjans/albums/72157718288371701

Edited by ajurjans

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:33 PM, Menno Dévee said:

What about the Meike 6.5mm and the 8.0mm? any experiences? Very affordable lenses as well!

I got the 6.5 Meike recently and it's a blast, for $129 a whole lot of fun. The images look quite sharp to me. I have to greatly enlarge the very edge to see blur and a little chromatic aberration. I'm quite happy with it. It covers slightly more than 180 degrees.

Based on a review I saw on Amazon, it seems somebody else got caught by the same problem I had. There's a setting in the camera that enables shooting without a lens, and until I turned this on, I could see through this lens with the viewfinder but the shutter would not fire. It's a manual lens, which means among other things my X-T30 II does not seem to recognize it as a lens. I was worried it was defective, but found mention of this on Meike's web site, and it fixes all. The setting to enable shooting without a lens does not seem to do any harm when shooting with Fujinon lenses, so I've just left it on.