Tripod for X-T1

Iko

I all,

I am searching for a good tripod to use with my X-T1. I don't need something too big and heavy since I am not planning to buy and use lenses bulky as

the 50-140mm. Instead I'm searching for a tripod to carry on long trips in the nature, one that can be placed close to the ground and lets say up to 1.50m

I would like to hear opinions and experiences of other X-shooters.

cheers

there're a bunch out there. i don't remember my exact model, but it's one of Sirui's traveling tripods. it can be collapsed a couple of ways. the way i prefer (longest in length) brings it to just 18". when i used to travel heavily for work, it's what i used to bring with me.

1030582_zpsemnfesrh.jpg

^

this is with the short column

1030584_zpsw1kjjhqd.jpg

^

this is with the long column. the method i've used here allows you to go as low as you want.

(Sent from another Galaxy)

Thank you romi, I looked on their web site and they seems to have interesting products, the serie with detachable monopod it's something

I didn't thought of, but seems useful in some circumstances.

You have also the ball head from the same company? What was your experience with their products?

Thank you romi, I looked on their web site and they seems to have interesting products, the serie with detachable monopod it's something

You have also the ball head from the same company? What was your experience with their products?

That's not exactly a "detachable monopod", just a center column. You can certainly use it as a monopod against a windowsill or a car hood. 

Sirui travel tripods and heads are extraordinarily adequate for the price, I use their T-025X combo for all field work with the Fuji system. They also make a much cheaper aluminum version of the same kit. I prefer carbon because it's much better at damping vibrations, and I often shoot very long exposures (without center column, of course).

i picked up the head and sticks from B&H. they also had a kit (head + sticks) at a very affordable price. the carbon fibre option was a very good deal. however, it didn't have a center column which i needed for my height (6'5") and i didn't like the head that was included because at that time, i was using both a mirrorless and a DSLR which the head wouldn't be able to support my DSLR kit. so i ended up selecting my setup which was the sticks and head each sold separately. the head was about $100 USD. the sticks were cheaper (aluminum).

the tripod/monopod you mentioned reminds me of my Benro Aero 4 travel video tripod where one of the legs detaches and you screw it on to the lengthy center column to use as a tripod (sorry, i don't have it at hand to show). it's great for run-n-gunning in crowds where you're shooting fast action scenes. if you absolutely know you won't be doing video, i wouldn't consider it. however, if you have a slight hunch you might bother with video even in the distant future or even if you still never will, the Aero 2 is similar in design with a tad smaller legs and an even smaller fluid head which would still be great for photography with any mirrorless system even with a larger zoom. Benro also has a budget line of travel tripods called MeFOTO. be careful though, some of smaller ones are too cute.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk)

Hello, i have had a Vanguard Nivelo Bk before which worked well and was extremely light and very compact at 12 inches folded, and worked well on the X-Pro1, we have now switched to a Giottos Memoire 50 (max cap 3KG) and and is 33cm collapsed. 128cm max extended, with twin spirit levels and a arca style QR plate. with a hook to hang my bag from on the centre post.

Very nice tripod and was very cheap at only £23.00, not sure if they are still available but are currently on offer at Currys electrical, if this helps anyone. 

And thank you again romi, there's a lot of food for thoughts :)

Regarding videos, I never touched that red button on my X-T1 since I bought it, so video is not in my thoughts at the moment. Thinking of this, probably the travelling line is the best for my
needs :rolleyes:

@Killerloopflyfishing

Thank you for the advice, but aren't 3Kg a bit to tight in order to holding a camera like the X-T1?

I am asking this as a total noob in this area, I know that is better to have a lot of margin to have the right stability, but how much?

Just a quick update on Sirui. Tonight I did a full cleaning/inspection/lubrication routine with my T-025X for the first time. For me that means that the tripod is disassembled completely and turned into a bucket of washers, shims, bolts and springs – and then thoroughly inspected for any anomalies.

In short: I am amazed. I was expecting anything but this. My Sirui tripod is built and designed better than Gitzo (I can take down and reassemble Gitzo with my eyes closed). Much better. The only (somewhat) questionable part is a pin that holds the bolthead on a center column, but I don't use a center column so I don't care.

Terrific kit, especially for the price.

There are many tripods out there and yet there will be none that can tick all the boxes for everyone under every circumstances.

I had a couple of these of old tripods already and I have simply updated two old tripods, one monopod and bought a gorillapod when I re-entered photography with the X system.

The best way to save money is not spending it to buy things that you already have or that you might not need.

After buying a Sunaway L bracket Arca compatible, I bought a ball head and a few quick release,  arca-clone, clamps.

The ball head ( Beike) had already an arca clone clamp on it but it was one just painted black and I have changed it with one anodized black ( I didn’t throw out the one that came with the beike ball head, but I have put that one on a very old Linhof ball head which I’ve used on  a gorilla pod), which is much better, for all the rest the ball head is perfect.

The first tripod to get the rejuvenation treatment was an old Manfrotto 190SHB.

This is now my all purpose tripod. it can be used very low to the ground or its column can be quickly be inverted so that the camera can be mounted upside down , however for that kind of purpose the best, lightest and quickest option is to use the gorilla pod ( which I can carry inside my Jill.E Jack large messenger bag which is large enough to carry that without interfering with my camera stuff) with its linhof ball head.

Just in case I need something heavier ( I already had this so I didn’t have to buy it), I have a rather heavy, beautiful wooden tripod sold by Hama but made by Berlebach ( with a central invertible column with an articulated ball joint at the base of the column). This tripod can be articulated in many different ways but the invertible column containing the ball joint makes it possible to use it without any head if you have a L bracket on the camera and put an arca clamp on the tripod, so you save a little on weight.

This is a very heavy combination but don’t be fooled by the idea that you can make a long exposure with a lightweight tripod on a windy night! You can’t!

Carbon fibre is nice but I have always preferred to save my money because you spend a lot for carbon fibre but really you save very little weight.

As a monopod I had an ancient one by Stiz, I added one of the arca-clone clamps to it and now it is perfectly working ( doubles as a self defense device too  B) )

Carbon fibre is nice but I have always preferred to save my money because you spend a lot for carbon fibre but really you save very little weight.

When it comes to tripods, CF isn't really about saving weight, it's about vibration dampening. And in this department, CF has a huge advantage over aluminum. 

Have a look at shutter induced vibrations on CF legs vs aluminum, all other things being equal:

gitzovsbogenvibration.jpg

However, if weight is of no concern, there's one material that is superior to aluminum and… cheaper, too. Wood. Have a look at Berlebach tripods.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

However, if weight is of no concern, there's one material that is superior to aluminum and… cheaper, too. Wood. Have a look at Berlebach tripods.

Yes, I am very aware of that! I have been just adding my Hama Omega Pro L26 ( made by Berlebach) to the classified ads of the forum

DSCF2079.jpg