Are you using a UV filter with an adapter? If so, putting this on backward will restrict the lens from breathing in and out thus it was unable to focus freely, causing this error. message. This happened to me and I had to keep powering off/on the camera until I figured it out. Good Luck!

Edited by SpaghettiPaparazzi
typo

On 12/29/2018 at 2:31 PM, SpaghettiPaparazzi said:

Are you using a UV filter with an adapter? If so, putting this on backward will restrict the lens from breathing in and out thus it was unable to focus freely, causing this error. message. This happened to me and I had to keep powering off/on the camera until I figured it out. Good Luck!

Marry me! Yes, I do use a UV filter. Plus I have an adapter attached to it to use a hood. Just taken all of them off. And ... we are go again. Screwed UV on in reverse. Still OK. Added adapter & hood. Still OK.

HUGE THANKS (especially as I have $100 repair bill for an XPro2 and I also live in Thailand, where communications with Fuji Thailand in Bangkok are ‘problematic’ and drink-inducing.)

Thanks for kicking off 2019 on a high note. 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, SpaghettiPaparazzi said:

This is the #1 cause of lens error ever since the original x100 came out. I'm glad everything worked out.

• 2 months later...

What about the adapter ring I use to attach my JJC lens hood? Does this affect lens movement too? Presumably the official Fuji lens hood also requires an adapter ring. If so Fuji are (knowingly?) contributing to the problem.

i used to have a u/v filter + hood adapter ring’sttached. I had further Focus Error! problems so I’ve removed the filter. Let’s see what happens now.

As mentioned before, it’s a pity Fuji haven’t put out an advisory note on this. I did ask for clarification on several Fuji Twitter sites. Still waiting.

The solution is using a threaded spacing ring that just puts a space between a too thick filter mount or lens hood. I have been successfully doing this with an extra thin B&W filter on a 60mm macro which displayed a focus error when used on infinite (or thereabouts).

This is an example of a spacing ring which has the same thread back/front and thin mount in between (you need to find the right thickness)

Edited by milandro

yes, a spacer,  not an adapter, there are special spacers, this serves the purpose to allow focusing without impeding the movement of the lens (which is causing the error) of course the spacer has to be thin.

I had this problem when I used my 60mm with a different lens hood than the gigantic original one. I used UV filter by B&W which was thin enough not to jam the focusing movement when focusing at infinity or longer distances.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:44 AM, Waldo Pepper said:

What about the adapter ring I use to attach my JJC lens hood? Does this affect lens movement too? Presumably the official Fuji lens hood also requires an adapter ring. If so Fuji are (knowingly?) contributing to the problem.

i used to have a u/v filter + hood adapter ring’sttached. I had further Focus Error! problems so I’ve removed the filter. Let’s see what happens now.

As mentioned before, it’s a pity Fuji haven’t put out an advisory note on this. I did ask for clarification on several Fuji Twitter sites. Still waiting.

I have an adapter, UV filter, and hood combo on my X100F and have never had the error come up. I've used the trio on my X100S and X100T also with no problems. The key is to use filters that are thin enough not to block the path of the lens movement. FYI, I've always used B+W filters on my X100's.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello StephenPG

Thanks for the advice. I was doing that: JJC adapter ring + u/v  filter + JJC hood. Focus issues disappeared after I removed the filter!

I traded in the X100F for a 100V. A YouTuber recommended using a B+W filter to sandwich between the JJC adapter and lens hood, which I’ve done. No focus issues to date. So same system as before, just different filter. I’m not sure if the B+W is thicker or thinner than the previous one (just cheap, off the shelf). The lens on the 100V has been tweaked, so maybe it doesn’t travel out as far as the one on the 100F. Excuse my lack of technical geekery.

If I meet an 100V owner who has ‘weather sealed’ the lens using Fuji’s pricey official adapter, it may be worth doing a thickness comparison.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry: can’t remember what I did with the 100F. With 100V: removed the lens adapter ring (that came with the camera); replaced it with the JJC ring (came with hood); screwed B+W filter into it; attached hood to it.

With the 100F, I may have added a spacer ring before adding the JJC ring. Instead of screwing this in clockwise, it was turned around (ie backwards) and the inner ring screwed in anti-clockwise. Try a Google search for better help.