X-T3 video for beginners?

DogmaCat

I got the X-T3 for photography, but I’d like to learn more about the video capabilities. I'm new to video; I don’t understand all the various movie modes and settings on the X-T3. Everybody writes about how great it is, but I’m clueless. Everything I’ve found assumes you know the meaning of a slew of acronyms. Could anyone please point me a source of information about video with the camera that’s aimed at newbies? Any help appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One BIG thing with video work that will probably get overlooked (because it has to do with editing the video, not recording it) is which CODEC you are working with. The XT3 records into either H.264 or H.265. These are compressed CODECs for reducing the amount of memory they take up on your cards and SSDs but they are not suitable for editing in Premiere or Final Cut Pro. Shooting with an XT3 you will need to do one of 2 things: 1) Transcode footage into an editable codec, such as Apple ProRes or 2) Shoot with an external recorder that automatically records to an editable codec such as Apple ProRes.

If you try to edit the Fuji files straight out of your camera in Premiere, you're gonna have a bad time!

Think CODEC and do your Transcoding.