Fujifilm half leather case

Hi people

Has any one bought a Fujifilm X-T1 half leather case from Fuji there not cheap but I thought I would treat myself

But on the web site it says it has access to battery and SD card.Well it arrived today and unless I am going Bonkers

There is a flap to the battery but no access to the SD card doors its just a solid leather side where the sd card door is.

So it looks like that you have to take off the case every time you want to change SD cards which is mad 

Anyone got one Any help

The original X-T1 half case that I've checked out in the store had a flap for SD card door. Later on, I went to another store, and their half case didn't have a flap. Both were same article numbers, etc… Odd.

Anyhow, I didn't like the original half case (even the one with a flap), so I chose to add MHG-XT-Large instead (I have medium/small hands). Loving it. If you prefer a half case and want to stay within a $100 price range, I'd suggest this one.

I have, but only very briefly, toyed with the idea of buying an half case for the X-T1 when I bought this camera following my X-E1 ( which, instead, I immediately accessorized with a tan leather halfcase).

I did this ( or rather I didn’t) because in my opinion, unlike its predecessor which I used on the X-E1, the halfcase of the X-T1 offers little to no extra comfort or protection to the X-T1 and amounts to little more than simple bat rather expensive embellishment ( to which one has every right if one is so inclined!).

Indeed it looks like there are two different types on the market. This one has no card access, so, indeed you need to take it off every time.

Cheaper versions have access but really only offer minimal protection in front, none at the back and only “ protect” the bottom of the camera.

But I’d much rather have a L bracket effectively protecting the bottom part of the camera, the front, although partly and on one side alone, while offering full access, front grip, and tripod quick attachment.

Let me reiterate my advise, while I invite you to not automatically discount the omnipresent cheap Chinese halfcases, because they might be adequate to your purpose. I invite you to consider  this.

The protection and extra confort of any of the halfcases for the X-T1 are questionable at best. You really should ask yourself whether a little leather that improves no grip and offers little to no protection to the camera, is worth the  cost and fuss.

Please consider one of the so many (there are more now than there were one year ago) L brackets, at the very least they offer you tripod connection which is generally difficult or impractical with an halfcase while offering you a more than adequate protection ( not worse) than any halfcase. On top of that they have front grip which is not normally featured in leather halfcases (with maybe two exceptions).

Good Luck!

great minds...  ;) ... the thing is that by its own nature the design of the X-T1 is not the most suitable to use an half case. There are too many parts needing access to ( battery, card, moving LCD screen) which only leaves the bottom ( and if you want to put the camera on a tripod or monopod you need quick shoe of some sort...)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I remember the words of guy from store where I bought camera, 56mm and case. It went like "The 5cent coin is something you should always have with you". He meant the easy way to unscrew the bolt assembling case with camera body. Soon after leaving shop I realized I had spent plenty of euros on something half useless. It only gives the camera really nice look and is very annoying if it goes to taking the memory card out :/

I love accessories and gadgets. Not so much that I would buy them all but enough to have started a thread here in order to show some curiosities.

Some of these accessories are justified by the fact that we are not all built the same or use the cameras the same way but others are purely and simply something to make our pride possession reflect our own image by having a customized look.

As said above. I bought the fuji halfcase for the X-E1 when I had it but I couldn’t bring myself to buy any halfcase for the X-T1 because of the way they are built offering an incredibly flimsy “ protection”.

The protection offered even from the best of these generally very expensive accessories is, in the case of the X-T1, minimal at the very best while positively be “ in the way” when it comes to extracting the SD card.

I love to give a leather look to the camera though and I would rather buy one of the kits made by Asahi http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/ than a not so useful halfcase an accessory which impairs my ability to slide the camera on a tripod head with arca-swiss-like system.

that is...if there was one Asahi leather skin for the X-T1 ( it was promised some time ago, I don’t really know what’s keeping him) 

...which is something one does frequently, unless using the wi-fi.

As others have said, this is not just a passing fuss and not the only situation where you need taking the case off.

What are you gonna do if you need to put your camera on a tripod?

The OEM halfcase is a quarter case really, allowing card ( and some also battery) access but because of it being so small one has to wonder what the function of this thing would be?

Since my post above I have exchanged the Sunaway grip for another and better one , I am rather satisfied with that one. I would just improve it with some anti-slip at the front.