Need your help for choosing a new lens

ErenA

Hello everyone,

I have a Fuji X-E1 and an Fuji XF 35 mm f/2 R WR lens. I am so happy with my lens especially with the portraits.But I want to buy a new lens for other needs. 

With this lens I want to focus more documentary and street photography. Plus, I would like to take portraits with a little bit wider angle. After a while I will buy a new body also (probably a X-T2).  

In the view of such information which lens would you suggest? My options:

Samyang 12mm f/2

Fuji XF 18mm f/2 

Fuji XF 23 mm f/2 

I am open for other suggestions too. 

Extra: What do you think about 7artians lenses? Do you have any experience with them?

Thank you all already for all your helps!

Choice for me would be between 18 and 23 – if you like wider, then 18, if you like slightly narrower, 23. The 18 is a great lens, maybe not as sharp or contrasty as the newer Fuji lenses, but super sweet rendering, especially out of focus areas. 

Check this: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=XF18mmF2 R

The 7Artisan 35/1.2 is a nice lens, tiny and therefore handling is a bit awkward. I sold mine again, it just didn't get me much over the 35/1.4. I don't know the other 7Artisan lenses, so can't speak for these. I had the 23/2 and sold it again. Nice size, but it's a bit wider than I'd like for a 23 (it's more like 21) and the OoF rendering just isn't what I came to expect having the 23/1.4 – even at f/2 the larger, faster lens is just so much nicer rendering (to my eye).

I would not pick the Samyang for your use case, it's just too wide and slow, although it could be fun. I'm using the XF14 for fun shots of people, but they are rather rare. 

My recommendation for what you describe is the XF1 18mm f/2, that's partly because I feel you'd want a greater distance from the XF 35mm and partly because I really like the 18.

Edited by cug

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Looking more like the next Fuji camera we see will be an X-T50 but it is still a rumor and no specs have been published.
    • Hey guys, The shutter on/off button switch may be loose on mine. After turning camera on and pressing the shutter/holding close to the area, the camera will turn off and say 'sensor cleaning'. This doesn't happen if I'm shooting via touch screen at all. Everything else is functional. Anyone else experience this before? Would love a much cheaper fix since Fuji Canada just quoted me $700 CAD to fix it, and considering everything else is functional except that part I'm not even sure why MPMB Main Board parts is being replaced😕 I got no explanation from them either.
    • As far as I know the firmware is not country specific. Are you sure that the filename has not been changed ( I am told this can happen with mac os). That's the only thing I can think of.
    • My x-t5 does not exhibit the focusing switch behaviour as you report it, so that is very strange and indicative of a fault. It does not matter whether the flash is attached or not. Once you set the camera for your studio flash, say 1/250th at f5.6, the camera, which is showing you what you will get at that exposure without the flash, will show a black screen unless the ambient light is brighter than what you would typically get indoors. That is why, as Jerry says, you have to set preview exp/wb to off. I have set a button for this.
    • I connected to FRAME.IO a while back and it works fine, but the camera wouldn't connect to the internet all of a sudden today and would get stuck on the reset screen, including initializing and even switching USB Connection mode. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?