Advice please

SteveP

High all...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Looking to join the world of Fuji mirrorless cameras i mainly shoot at airshows cricket and wildlife(not so much birds in flight) my delema is is the xt-1 paired up with the 100-400mm lens  a good combo as ive seen very good prices on ebay im on a tight budget and can just about aford this or should i get the xt-2 with the same combo... could you share your thoughts please many thanks steve.       

Owning both an X-T1 and an X-T2 and having shot an airshow with the X-T2 I have to say there are better options out there for this kind of photography.

The X-T2 did OK but the D7000 I owned previously did a much better job with tracking focus. I have decided to forget about using Fujifilm for long tele stuff and look for a Nikon D7100 or even D500 for the next big airshow. Probably paired with a Nikon 200-500.

Knowing the X-T1 well I would say focus tracking would be disappointing at an airshow. I felt that the X-T2 barely kept up but it hunted quite a bit.

I love my Fuji's but for fast action tele i would look elsewhere. Viewfinder blackout is also a concern with the X-T1 and it may make tracking a bit difficult. It can be done for sure, but at least I missed my D7000 at the last airshow.

I mean, I wouldn't discourage from using Fujifilm for an airshow if you got the equipment but if investing in gear specifically for fast paced tele action i just don't think Fuji is there yet. The X-T3 is supposed to be better but Nikon has amazing 3D tracking and I'm sure canon has something similar so I find it hard to recommend Fuji for this at the moment.

For wildlife moving slowly or standing still it would work great but cricket and fast moving airplanes I'm not so sure about. Especially with the X-T1. 

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion but that's where I stand.