Activating Aperture ring Helios 44M-4

CarmoPolice

Hi all. I recently bought a Helios 44M-4 58mm lens to use on my X-Pro1. I have an M42-FX adaptor that I've used successfully with a Vivitar 135mm f/2, being able to manually focus and change the aperture manually. However, when I connect the Helios lens to the adaptor, I am unable to change the aperture when I twist the aperture ring. When i press in one of the pins on the rear of the lens, I can change the aperture but the pin is not depressed when attached to the adaptor. Can anybody suggest a fix? 

Edited by CarmoPolice

• 3 weeks later...

you must have a different version that the ones that I have or have had. 

Anyway, this is a predicament that is not uncommon with some Pentax M42x1 lenses too. 

At the back of the les there is a pin which to be depressed. Some adapters do have a flange ring inside which acts upon this and allows the aperture to work. If you adapter doesn’t have it you may try to take it apart and put one in but most adapters are SO cheap that I would try to get another one with that ring inside.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:55 PM, plaidshirts said:

All the adapters I've used pressed the pin when attached, so short of using something else to keep it down, ie tape, you may have to get a different kind.

I've used Fotasy adapters with success across different mounts ranging from Leica to Pentax K and M42.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:23 PM, milandro said:

you must have a different version that the ones that I have or have had. 

Anyway, this is a predicament that is not uncommon with some Pentax M42x1 lenses too. 

At the back of the les there is a pin which to be depressed. Some adapters do have a flange ring inside which acts upon this and allows the aperture to work. If you adapter doesn’t have it you may try to take it apart and put one in but most adapters are SO cheap that I would try to get another one with that ring inside.

Hi folks, many thanks for responding to my query. The adaptor I have does not have a flange ring inside the mount, so the locking pin is not being depressed. I will have a look at the Fotasy adaptors and pick one up on Amazon. I really appreciate your input. Kind regards, Mark

K&F should have the flange  , they are cheap and very well made, note that you can put yourself a ring to work as a flange in your adapter, just unscrew the retaining screws outside on the adapter barrel (generally they are there) the front ring comes off , under there you place a thin black ring made of any material that can press upon the pin, and there you go.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!