Panorama pictures.

CDBC

When I bought my X-T2 (part of an insurance claim, when my Fujifilm 645W film camera and Fujifilm X-10 were damaged) I talked to my camera retailer guy, and although I could have received instant gratification by choosing an X-T20, I decided instead to wait for delivery of an X-T2, which was in in short supply at the time.

Panoramic pictures have been something of an obsession for me, photographically speaking.

I would enjoy some feedback from other X-T2 users on how they're working with, or around, this feature. The focal length of the lens sure makes a difference to the electronic brain in the camera.

Separately but related, what's the best and easiest photo upload source to use on this here site?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit dismayed. I thought this forum was about the X-T2 & X-20, and a key reason that I waited to obtain my X-T2 a couple of years back was because of the panoramic feature.

Aren't there any others out there with some useful feedback and input? There are some smart people who contribute here, from what I've seen. 😐

Sorry, I have never used the panoramic feature. Maybe your question is too open, try to narrow it down to some more specific issue. If there is an issue and you want me to try it out on my camera for comparison, tell. (Not that I consider myself smart, there some real pros here, I am not one.)

To post photos here (not many lately, too busy) I would make a small version 1600pix wide, put it on my server that hosts my domains, post it here and link it to the full size version that I put on that same server. But you can use Flickr or similar sites just as well. I do not know if anything qualifies as the best and easiest, I suppose it depends on what people like to use.

I really like panoramas.  I shoot them with my Fuji GSW690III and my Fuji G617 as well as digital.  I can't help you directly with your camera since I have a X100F and a dual spectrum infrared/visible converted X100s.  I've shot probably 50 or so panoramas with the digital Fujis and have been happy with most but the one comment I have that may or may not be useful with your camera is that I occasionally get banding across the photo.  So I always shoot two or three of the same scene since often I can't see the banding on the screen, only when I see it larger size on my monitor.

I've shot a handful of panoramas, and been somewhat pleased - which is to say it's the easy, often lazy, solution. panning speed is critical, you must pan left-to-right in landscape mode, and there are a lot of blur artifacts baked into the jpeg. and total file size is roughly the same as a single non-pan shot, so you lose a lot of resolution. i've done pans handheld (poking through a window where a tripod would not work; pooping out of the car for a quick pan of the landscape, etc) - these serve the purpose a fraction of the time.

for serious pans, select a focal length, set the camera in manual mode, put it on your tripod, and take a series of longer-focal-length overlapping exposures with raf images; then stitch them in photoshop, and the result will be far superior. 

Thanks to all for your input, very helpful!

I'll see if I can actually figure out how to put a couple of images up, and then maybe get some more feedback. I am an analogue kind of guy at heart ... and Flickr doesn't seem to be what you would call intuitive ... 

I'm experimenting here, not sure if I'm going to see my image from Flickr or a link to my Flickr account. 

Jerome, Az

Edit: yeah, what I thought, it's just a link. How the heck do other people manage to paste images into this site, from Flickr or wherever?

Edited by CDBC

In camera Panoramas are very easy using -X- bodies.  Simply choose direction (landscape or portrait) and angle (M or L), then shoot. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posting here is easy as well. Just follow instruction below.

Drag files here to attach, or choose files...
Max total size 0.98MB

Edited by AndyH44
added info

On 12/5/2018 at 10:36 AM, AndyH44 said:

To whom were you replying to?

I'm pretty certain that he was providing advice to myself, as the originator of the thread, seeking knowledge (thanks, Bergat). What he's saying makes sense, from my experience; my 'best' results so far using the Panorama feature in the X-T2 have been achieved using a focal length of 35-55 mm (about 50-85 mm equivalent to shooting in 35 mm film format). It's more challenging to get this right when shooting hand-held but yields a better result.

Incidentally, the second 'to' in your sentence is redundant. 

• 4 weeks later...

CDBC

I have taken a few pictures using the panoramic settings with my Fuji X-T2.  The Fuji does a nice job stitching the photo's, however, the resolution is reduced to 6400x1440 72dpi.   

I figured it would be larger based on the cameras resolution.  I have not tried to take multiple shots and piece them together manually as the setting on the camera makes it so easy to produce a pano.