Fuji sharpening on macbook retina screen

miguel

When sharpening tiff files on a non retina screen at 100% the file is perfect.

When I sharpen the same file on a retina screen at 100%, the file is not so sharp when vuewed back on the non retina screen.

Someone once told me you must sharpen files on a retina screen at 200% to get the same sharpening effect as you would get at 100% on a non retina screen.

Is this true?

I would say yes, you have to adjust the sharpening for every device, be it screen or printer output, depending on the resolution of the device but also on the viewing distance. There is a difference if you survey, for instance, an A3+ print and you are standing a meter away from it or if you walk up to it and look at it from close up. If you want to perceive a print as ideally sharpened you have to take the viewing distance into consideration. For computer screens, you look at them from different distances too, depends whether it is, for instance, a 32 inch monitor or a 14 inch laptop.

But to come back to your retina - non retina question, you have monitors in so called HD resolution (1920*1080) - most laptops have that, but also in 4K (3840*2160) - mostly bigger monitors & TVs, but already some laptops, as well as 5K -  iMac, etc. (8K). Are you talking about a retina screen on a tablet that you hold in your hands or on a iMac 27" computer monitor ?

I would say all this has an effect on the perception of the image. C1 has a nice way of dealing with the production of different versions of your image for different purposes - the so-called recipes, where you can adjust the so-called output sharpening. For "print" you can define the viewing distance as a percentage of the diagonal of the size of the image. You can define several recipes as you wish and then easily produce them for any image that is already "finished" and sharpened to your liking (before you apply the "output sharpening").

I would suggest to have a look at that and try it out. If you search on the internet you will find more qualified answers from people who know more about this than I do. Good luck.

Edited by George_P
typo

... and to come back to the C1 recipes, if you choose "Output sharpening for screen", I presume that is processed to match the "Resolution" and "Size" or "Dimensions" parameters that are to be found in the "Basic" tab of the "Process Recipe". But as opposed to "Output sharpening for print", you have no option to adjust for viewing distance, so it is still not ideally solved, although they have gone a long way, IMHO.

Moreover, when you choose to print via the print dialogue of C1, there you can also adjust sharpening, but without specifying the viewing distance, so it is rather confusing. When printing, I prefer to make a TIFF and then print it from another program, because I can adjust for the "Viewing distance" and also because the print dialogue in C1 drives me crazy with having to set paper sizes and margins all over again each time. On the other hand, in C1 you can make the TIFF already in the colour space of the ICC profile of the paper on which you intend to print, but that is a whole another story. Sorry for wandering away from your topic, but I thought it may be of interest for some people reading this.

To sum it up, for print I find the recipes in C1 useful and they make it easy to produce an appropriately sharpened image for the size/viewing distance of the print. (I use viewing distance 150% of the diagonal for a 5"x7" and 200% for an A3+). For screen, try out a setting that you like on the device that you target, which affects not only the resolution of the device but also the viewing distance from it (tablet/monitor/TV...). 

For the internet, when you do not know what the viewer will be using, it is a problem. I recall uploading images that looked beautiful on my 4K screen to this forum, them looking at the from a notebook with a HD screen I saw horrible mushy images. In most websites you do not even control the resolution of the image, they get resized on the server as they are published.

I hope you are not going to throw away your camera into a bin after all this rambling of mine. Cheers, Miguel.

Edited by George_P
typo again