Xe3 eye sensor locked on EVF

I've recently purchased a 2nd hand XE3. I'm having problems with switching between the LCD and EVF; the eye sensor mode which should automatically switch between them is just staying locked on the EVF. Has anyone else had this problem? 

I've tried doing a reset, and the eye sensor mode starts on the LCD, but then locks on the EVF from the first time I put my eye up to the viewfinder. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing I'd check is whether the View Mode button is working properly. With the camera turned on, it should cycle between Eye Sensor,  LCD Only,  EVF Only + Eye Sensor,  and Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display with each press of the button. (It's easiest to check this with your eye to the EVF.) When it is set on Eye Sensor you should get the automatic switching that you want. If you don't, then it does sound as though there's some defect. 

• 8 months later...

I am having the same issue. The camera is first hand. After about 10 months the LCD - EVF did not switch anymore. It stays fixed in EVF. Surprisingly I am still use the touchscreen but have to look through the EVF to see my controls. This is very annoying. the manual confirms that both should switch automatically. 

Had anyone found a solution to this problem?

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but I have had the same problem 2x. First time I was under warranty and Fujifilm fixed it for free. I am no longer under warranty and Fujifilm want to charge me to fix it. Very frustrating. I love this camera but I have lost complete faith in it and in Fujifilm. Seems like they never fixed it properly the first time.

• 1 year later...

"LCD - EVF did not switch anymore It stays fixed in EVF." 

I've had exactly the same issue here in the Netherlands a year ago and because of this it was sent to the factory and "repaired!?"

Today I noticed the same problem and It is now no longer within the two years warranty period. I really don't see why I should now prepare myself to be charged for another factory visit for the same repair!  It was done free of charge the last time and obviously not properly. Any of you guys know what I can best do, is it best to write to them explaining the issue or ringing direct?

Any help would be gladly received!

On 8/13/2019 at 10:01 PM, RobertBauer said:

LCD - EVF did not switch anymore. It stays fixed in EVF.

"LCD - EVF did not switch anymore It stays fixed in EVF." 

Edited by Koneska

• 3 weeks later...

I have just discovered this problem with my X-T20.

When I turn on the camera the eye sensor reacts properly one or two times, then it stays in EVF ONLY  position.

So, this has nothing to do with cleaning the EVF or with any other wrongdoings of a user. And it is not a single occasion, as this thread proves. This is a serious problem with Fujifilm product, and Fuji should fix it without asking users to pay for repairs.

This is not the only problem my camera has developed recently. The other one is: preview button suddenly stopped working. If after taking a picture I want to see how it came out, the preview button does display nothing, no matter how many times I press it. To view the picture I have to turn of and turn on the camera, then the preview button will show the last picture taken.

Edited by Arthur

I just got a 170 euro bill for the repair of the viewfinder. Just plain appalling  the communication I've had from them, no concern or interest of the history of repairs being-three times to the factory in under three years! I had the same problem with the viewfinder  several months ago when it was still under warranty, and it was sent for repair: almost two months to get my camera back, no explanation/note about what the issue was or what had actually been repaired . Now i have exactly the same problem and a whopping huge bill to pay! Wrote an email to the shop where I purchased, and now I'm waiting to hear from them....

Shall keep you posted!

Edited by Koneska

• 2 months later...

I too just started having this issue today.

earlier this year I had my X-T3 camera converted to B&W IR. it has been working fine until today.

I placed a full charged battery into the camera, placed a lens on the camera and switched it on, and cant get an image on the LCD. 

I can see the image in the EVF, and in playback mode. But cant use the LCD to view.  someone on this thread mentioned a setting. does anyone know of such a setting?

I'd appreciate any help,

thank you 

OK,

I feel soooooooooooooo stupid,   I just pressed the DISP Back button and the image on the LCD returned.

I am so used to using my X-T3 and X-Pro2, that this was an oversight on my part.  I've been doing photography for over 50 years.

Once we went to digital, I felt like an idiot. the reason I fell in love with the Fuji system, is because they went with analog design, it felt like a normal regular film camera and not have to go through menus, which I despise.

So if you are having the LCD black out image, try the DISP button and you might get lucky like me.  

• 2 years later...

Saaame issue as me, just got an X-E3 second hand yesterday: 

• Camera is in EYE SENSOR + LCD IMG DISPLAY view mode
  • when first turned on, the LCD image shows
  • when moving it up to my eye, the image switches to the EVF
  • when moving away from the EVF / camera, the LCD does NOT turn back on till I turn it off and on again
  • when turning off and on again the LCD displays correctly. Repeat. 

• 2 months later...

The same problem happened twice, once after repair, the first repair was free, because it was still under warranty, the second time, a 170 euro bill! I wrote a complaint, stating that the camera had the same malfunction after repair, in the end they fortunately withdrew the amount I should pay. It took about two months to get the camera back, and I have no idea what they actually repaired or if a part was replaced or not. I t works fine now, a great camera, but I didn't expect it to be faulty a within its first year.