x100t noisy EVF and LDC compared to x100s

i have purchased an x100t and still have my x100s for a few days more before I sell it. So I have had some time to compare the two models.

Yes, x100t is a more responsive camera, and overall I like the improvements.

However, comparing the EVF and the LCD with the x100s and I am no longer so happy. With the exact same Screen settings the x100t's EVF and LCD is extremely noisy. The picture is alive with chroma noise compared with the x100s which even in low light has a very clean image. No noise at all. Keeping the lens cap on on both cameras while turned on and the x100s EVF and LCD is pitch black, while the x100t is filled with white constantly moving noise on top of the black. I know the refresh rate is higher on the x100t, but Is the noise normal?

I have attached two images of the LCD display from both cameras with the cap on, as it's the best way to illustrate my issue. The camera is still under warranty, so I am wondering whether it needs fixing.

x100t

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

x100s

I took a quick look at my X100T and the viewfinder and LCD produce a perfectly clean image that looks like the second photo above. You may simply have a faulty model on your hands.

That's what I was afraid of. I have somewhat reduced the noice by enabling Preview Pic. effects in settings since Natural Live View is enabled when Preview is off, and that boosts the image by adding gain and setting DR to 400. But still not as clean as my x100s.

Can confirm my X100T is also very noisy with the cap on, or shooting in near darkness.

Luckily I don't shoot in those conditions? :P

Since the X100S and X100T use the same processor, but the X100T manages a faster framerate in the LCD/EVF, It's gotta be some software tricks that achieved that. Perhaps that software tricks introduces noise. I'd take noisy 54FPS over clean 24fps anyday though. (thinking back to my original x100 days, eek)