Lexar 64gb 1000x - is the camera frying the card?

shivahuja

I bought a Lexar 1000x 64gb card for use with the X-T3...

Everything worked fine until I came back from a shoot and plugged the card in through a reader - the computer asked to initialize the card! And then when I put it back into the camera, it said it needs to be formatted. I lost all the data on the card and had to reformat it - But formatting it via the computer didn't work (Disk Utility would keep freezing up) and formatting it via the camera resulted in the same issue if I tried to take a picture again. 

I was in touch with the folks at SDcard.org and I sent them the error their formatting software threw up - They say its quite likely that the card had a hardware defect. 

Fortunately the shop replaced the card.

This time I also bought a slower Sandisk (95mb/s) card as a backup on slot 2. 

Just yesterday, I came back from a shoot and put the Lexar card in - The computer wouldn't recognise it. I tried another card reader - No luck. I put it back into the camera and it says 'Card Error'. 

So that's 2 Lexar cards!

Luckily, the first shoot I was able to recreate at no extra cost and the for the second shoot I had a backup card. But this is extremely scary! 

Is there a possibility that the problem is with Slot 1 on the camera? How can I test this without frying another card? 

Or is it a combination of the X-T3 and the Lexar 1000x that's causing a problem? 

What do you all think? 

25 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Assuming you mean the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I card then its likely faster in the X-T3 than your Lexar cards.

Yes, the UHS-I 95mb/s cards...So you're saying these are faster than the lexar 150mb/s UHS-II cards? 

My worry isn't the speed at this point - Its the fact that the Lexar cards failed and I could've been in a position where I lost data! 

22 hours ago, Marco Russo said:

what types of sd are recommended for xt3?

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/card/x/

The bottom line is that it depends on your type of photography.

If you shoot stills and you want to get the best out of the X-T3 continuous burst modes then a fast UHS-II card such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro 300MB/sec (or similar from Sony and others) will be best.

If you shoot video and want to use the highest bit rate then look for a V60 card (unfortunately the video standard is relatively new and some suitable cards may not yet be video rated). If you shoot video but don't need 400Mb/sec then the V30 cards will work fine (including UHS-I cards).

If you don't shoot video, don't shoot high speed bursts and don't care if it takes a bit longer to copy images to your computer then you can save a considerable amount on cards - although I wouldn't get anything slower than UHS-I such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/sec..

Just make sure they are from known manufacturers (SanDisk, Sony etc) and buy from a reliable source.

On 11/5/2018 at 7:46 AM, shivahuja said:

Yes, the UHS-I 95mb/s cards...So you're saying these are faster than the lexar 150mb/s UHS-II cards? 

My worry isn't the speed at this point - Its the fact that the Lexar cards failed and I could've been in a position where I lost data! 

Cards are cheap enough to get rid of something that you know gives problems (or send it back if its a new card). Its rare to find problems reported with SanDisk Extreme Pro cards bought from a reliable source.