Peak Design strap attachment

catesbyw

I am attempting to fit a Peak Design strap to my X-T3.  However, it appears that the "anchor" cord is too thick to fit through the lugs/eyelets of the camera.  I can make the attachment using the metal clips supplied with the camera body, but that configuration is a bit bulky as compared with directly attaching the strap to the eyelet.  Has anyone encountered (and solved) this problem, or must I acquire another strap.  Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the responses.  I suspected as much, and have used the supplied metal clips.  Again, they result in a bulkier attachment, with an additional "failure point," but probably not so much as would be presented by thinner cords.  I would frankly prefer no strap at all, but as an inept old guy am simply not willing to take that risk.  

Thanks again for all the help.   I have looked at the lugs/eyelets again on the X-T3, and there do not appear to be black plastic pieces within.  The Peak Design people were very helpful, but you are also correct that the thinner cords have been discontinued.  It was suggested that I try to pull the cord through using dental floss, and I will make the effort.  For the moment, I am just using the triangular metal clips that came with the camera.  

I exclusively use Peak Design straps on my 4 Fuji Cameras. Had been using them with the Fuji supplied triangular clips. 

Then one morning I was out shooting with my X-Pro2 with the 55-140 mounted and barely caught the strap as it was headed to the ground. Saved the camera, luckily. Took a look at how this had happened and the PeaK Design anchor had worked it's way off the triangles because they had become distorted. (see photo)

Went to Amazon and replaced all of them with a JJC product, 12mm *round* split rings and leather protector. Around $7 as I recall.

Looks far more secure.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I pulled my Peak Design Anchors through the eyelet on my X-T1 and X-T2 with a piece of clean dental floss. Once through, I looped the dental floss through the anchor cord and put it back through the eyelet. I then pulled the Anchor Cord Through with no problems.  I can see not wear on the cords after 6 months of use.

Like you, I bought this strap for my X-Pro2. I am assuming that the lugs are similar throughout the X range (I previously owned an X-E2).

I decided that the link was too tight and decided to usehe triangular link plus the faux leather loops. The assembly  works well.

take the loop and pass it through the leather loop. To pass the loop of the Anchor Loop through the triangular hoop and through the second hole in the leather loop. Turn the loop back and over itself and pass the locking ring through. Pull it through and attach the ring to the strap. This protects the camera and the loop.

Hope this helps.

I also watched a video last week from Chris Sargent on YouTube where he pushed out the protective collar from the strap lugs (t’s replacable so if you sell the camera you just refit the original collar). As the strap hole is now slightly larger it gives you the ability to pull the Peak Design clip cord through, although you need a little more help... Chris used a paper covered wire (often used twisted around new cables to keep them neatly together). It was informative, simple and a great solution to his, mine and your problem with the Fuji lugs and Peak designs Strap Clips. I hope this helps? If you can’t find Chris on YouTube then I’m happy to send you a link to his footage.

Very simple solution here: Cut to the 3 minute mark in this video. Simply put, you first feed a piece of slim wire through, loop the peak design attachment loop though, and tug it through. There is NO NEED to remove the inner collars on the camera eyelets.

Edited by pete1959
mispelling

I use the Hyperion Camera Straps. They are braided, some in different colours and binding colours and are very safe for your camera. I attach the strap to the camera using the supplied split rings. Very happy with this choice.

Edited by Neil_42

On 11/2/2018 at 2:06 PM, NormanCh said:

Like you, I bought this strap for my X-Pro2. I am assuming that the lugs are similar throughout the X range (I previously owned an X-E2).

I decided that the link was too tight and decided to usehe triangular link plus the faux leather loops. The assembly  works well.

take the loop and pass it through the leather loop. To pass the loop of the Anchor Loop through the triangular hoop and through the second hole in the leather loop. Turn the loop back and over itself and pass the locking ring through. Pull it through and attach the ring to the strap. This protects the camera and the loop.

Hope this helps.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:08 PM, Stevelink3 said:

Hi catesbyw, I'm using a Peak Design Slide LITE Strap on my X-T3, with the "thinner" anchor cords, and thus far, it works just fine! I think Peak Design makes some awesome products, as the strap on this model is super flexible and comfortable. Good luck! 

Once again, I am grateful for all of the advice.  Perhaps my X-T3 is nonstandard in some form or fashion, but the anchor cord absolutely will not fit through the eyelet, despite having attempted the use of dental floss and the method offered by Pete1959 in his video.  Further, the inner portion of the gasket is neither black nor removable -- at least without the exercise of force which I would prefer not to attempt.  Instead, I am going to employ the method suggested by Terry B., with the round rather than triangular eyelets.  Thanks again for all the help.

Without Camera Eyelet Alteration, I am using the Anchor Connectors on my X-T1, X-T2, X30 and X-T20.  I pull dental floss through the eyelet and thread it through the Anchor Loop and thread my dental floss back through the camera eyelet.  I then hold both pieces of the dental floss and pull the Anchor Loop through the eyelet on the camera.  I then loop the Anchor mount through it's on Loop and I am done. I have no idea why anyone can't do this.  I do the same on my Panasonic Lumix cameras. 

I am capable of doing this, and have attempted to do so on several occasions.  The Anchor Connectors did fit my X-T2, but the eyelet in the  X-T3 is too small to permit the anchor to slip through, with or without dental floss or the other aids that have been suggested. 

The remedy is; you have to use the older Peak Design Anchors the ones WITHOUT the glossy coating which were the earlier Peak Design Anchors. Peak Design use to exchange their anchor's for the earlier ones. I also used a piece of dental floss to pull the chord thru the eye of the camera lug. I was suprised that the cord slipped through the lugs on my X-E3 without any resistance.

*** Peak Design  Recalls Camera Strap Anchors (V1 & V3) *** 

You may be eligible for a free Anchor Update Kit (V4 Anchors).
The Kit contains split rings for attaching V4 Anchors to small camera eyelets.

Check which version of Anchors you have here (Take their Anchor Update Survey):
https://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000833866

It is also useful to register your Peak Design products and activate your lifetime warranty.
https://www.peakdesign.com/pages/register

I happily credit my brother Mark for pointing me to these sites.

Best Regards,
Peter

My update: I purchased a Peak Designs strap for my newest Fuji last month and found that this strap came with thicker anchor attachment cords and will not slip thru the eyelets using the wire/dental floss trick. These cords are thicker than the first two I received with earlier purchases.

Yes.  It appears that the older/thinner strap will fit, and the newer/thicker one will not.  Although otherwise very helpful, the Peak Designs rep with whom I spoke did not offer the thinner strap, and I do not see it listed for sale on either their website or on Amazon.  As it is, I am content using the circular clips to attach the strap.  

• 3 months later...

Use pete1959's YouTube link - just do not cut to the 3-minute mark. Around minute earlier there was a description of the removal of a metal insert.

It required some force, but helped, at least with PD V2.

BTW, PeakDesign is replacing V1 and V3 (free) and will send them with the metal ring for smaller holes.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:31 PM, pete1959 said:

Very simple solution here: Cut to the 3 minute mark in this video. Simply put, you first feed a piece of slim wire through, loop the peak design attachment loop though, and tug it through. There is NO NEED to remove the inner collars on the camera eyelets.

Edited by GeneImages