charge batteries and batteries

Marco Russo

Every time some reliable source tests third-party batteries against the OEM batteries, none of the third-party batteries match the performance of the OEM battery, and while some are not too bad, some are junk. Plus, if you have a problem with your X-T3 and Fuji thinks that third-party battery caused it, you may find that they won't provide warranty coverage to fix it. I agree with most people that the OEM batteries are way overpriced but, you just spent a pile of money for that X-T3, so why worry about saving a few dollars on a battery.

I have used both OEM and aftermarket batteries since I went digital over10 years ago. I find that OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) will generally provide more exposures and last longer than after market. However the cost difference is a major factor and I can usually buy 5 or more aftermarket for less than 1 OEM so I generally buy aftermarket.

I date & number my batteries and use them in order .Some aftermarket batteries advertise higher mAh (Milli ampere hours) that would indicate longer performance, but I never noticed a difference.

I have had a XT-2 for about 2 years and have used 2 brands of aftermarket batteries with no performance issues , however I noticed a couple of my BONACELL batteries did not release as easily when ejecting them from the camera. So I made a closer inspection and found a very slight swelling so I discarded them . Other of the same brand are working fine. The average cost was $5 and they were almost 2 years old. I replaced them with KASTAR brand. So far so good.

Virtually all batteries are made in China and only a few manufacturers, so it is a matter of branding , it can be a "crap shoot" unless you can find out who makes the OEM brand. Battery technologies are not secrets. Keep them charged and inspect them and you are not likely to have serious issues. 

Hope this helps …………...Bob

• 2 weeks later...