Fuji Fisheye

dv.

I've got one of these lenses.

I've used it.

But is it just me, or does the novelty wear off after a couple of weeks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This question made me get the 12mm instead of the fisheye.  I do not regret my decision by looking a the shots.  They are pretty cool, but I guess it might wear off.

Not my first fisheye, so I think it will continue getting considerable use. The reason, is that I am not using it to shoot typical "fisheye" shots, but much more as a superwide or panoramic lens that has curvature which I don't emphasize. I have tested it using the X-Pro1's sweep panorama, and stitching worked! I have also tested stitching in the new version of Adobe Camera RAW with dramatic results.

I find it does very nice interiors with all four walls, when shooting from a corner. Landscapes are quite dramatic as well. Photoshop CC has tools that can pretty much straighten everything, but for the most part, I don't bother.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great lens and one can do a lot with it, you can use it by purposefully enhancing its natural distortion or using it for image where you will hide its nature in the context

• 1 month later...

Wasn't expecting to shoot the sky at all but ended up staying in a castle in the middle of Wexford, Ireland during the week and it was a clear night. Happened to have my Roki 8mm in my small bag. I balanced the X-T1 on top of a wooden fence and propped it up using the lens cap. Kinda fun.

20746773271_a4e5452ba5_b.jpg

Stars by Kim Farrelly, on Flickr

X-T1 + Samyang 8mm.

The tree.

• 4 months later...

First walk with my new Walimex (Samyang) 8mm F2.8. It will probably not get used very often but I like it.

• 4 weeks later...

here comes the sun, 8mm

• 2 months later...
Fisheye is great tool for creativeness.

I like to make funny cityscapes with it. Here are old houses in Porto:

Next one is interior of church above the head, looks flat and not interesting at all, but then I made crop from left side where the organ, and picture became totally different, with help of compressed space.

• 2 weeks later...

The 8mm f/2.8 lenses (both I and II) are made for APS-C sensors in mirrorless camera bodies, see here. I don't know what the difference between the 8mm f/2.8 I and II is, but I don't think it has to do with larger sensors.

P.S.: Ian Norman from Lonelyspeck says v2 is a little bit bigger but sharper in the corners: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-8mm-f2-8-umc-fisheye-ii-review/ (it's down in the comments somewhere). And you should probably be careful, while searching for differences between v1 and v2 I found a lot of messages about decentered samples and issues where center and corners could not be focused at infinity at the same time.

I am quite sure that, along with the movie version, the first version was also offered for SONY full frame cameras at one time and I am not talking of the 3,5 version which is a completely different lens but the first 2,8.

For those who did that it became necessary to remove the lens hood in a complex way.

As I understand, modification of the rear elements was especially targeted to improve performance in the corners to SONY FF users and leaves the APS-C users almost unaffected.

“......The Samyang 8mm/2.8 UMC II fisheye lens is available for several camera mounts (Canon M, Fujifilm X, Samsung NX and Sony E). It is designed as a full frame fisheye which covers 180° from corner to corner on these aforementioned mounts with their respective sensor sizes. But since the introduction of the Sony cameras with E-mount and full frame sensor there is an interesting new option for panoramic photographers.

In all the featured examples of this post I just took a picture of a white piece of paper bended around the lens which I converted to a black and white image afterwards.If you mount the lens in its original state on a Sony ILCE-7 (or ILCE-7r) then you get an image which looks something like this...."

http://www.panotwins.de/technical/shaving-the-lens-hood-of-the-samyang-bower-rokinon-walimex-8mm-fisheye-lens-for-usage-on-the-sony-e-mount-with-full-frame-sensors/

Anyway many others have commented on the almost invisible (and easily explained as variation from copy to copy) 

http://admiringlight.com/blog/thoughts-samyang-8mm-fisheye-version-ii/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3728760#forum-post-54420317

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I'm convinced about fisheye lenses. I had a Samyang 8mm and loved it for about a week, and then it stayed in the cupboard for a year or so until I sold it. I've seen some interesting close-up sports shots with fisheyes and every now and then I'm tempted, but then I think the distortion is just too great and it overpowers everything else.

Edited by Warwick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm giving fisheyes another go.

After saying that I couldn't see the point of them, I've just bought a Samyang 8mm to replace the one I sold.

I'm going to test the theory that I was perhaps using it in the wrong way and for the wrong things.

I sold it because I used it to take briefly interesting but ultimately unrewarding 'novelty' pictures of things and places made bendy and weird-looking by the lens's extreme distortion characteristics. Or pictures where I tried to get so much of everything in that nothing stood out and grabbed my attention.

But reading through profiles of action photographers on the United Skateboard Photography Project website, it seems that the vast majority of them use fisheyes. Here's why: they say that a fisheye allows a photographer to get really close and fill the frame with a powerful, dynamic subject - while at the same time fitting in all of the background context that tells the story of what's just happened and what's about to happen. So I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Edited by Warwick