What do you like about the 50R?

Having ordered one I will at least like the sensor which is the same one my older Pentax 645Z had in it. This body is much more manageable for walking around. Also more newer lenses can make a big difference.

Somewhere I read, it seems Fuji will be releasing more smaller lenses like the 50/3.5 pancake due out mid 2019. That I like!

Edited by algrove

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Easy to use and the thin grip does not bother me while using the GB-001-wrist grip.

I like the lockable diopter adjustment.

Almost balanced even using the 23mm.

Using the Forodiox adapter my old Mamiya lenses have a new life-the MF 300/5.6 is super sharp.

Edited by algrove

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 12:35 AM, algrove said:

Having ordered one I will at least like the sensor which is the same one my older Pentax 645Z had in it. This body is much more manageable for walking around. Also more newer lenses can make a big difference.

Somewhere I read, it seems Fuji will be releasing more smaller lenses like the 50/3.5 pancake due out mid 2019. That I like!

https://www.paul-chronicles.com/blog/gfxr-for-street-photography guys this camera is just awesome,please check out some of these images.peace.

• 2 months later...

I’ve only had my 50R for a few weeks and am headed out on my first international trip since getting it. I got the 32-64, 23 and 120 to complement the body. 

My thoughts so far:

1) The ergonomics are good, but not perfect. It’s no bigger than my 1D bodies and it’s lighter than I expected. Carrying it in hand for a couple hours is doable. Mind you my previous travel camera was a Leica, so this is saying something.

2) The images are everything I’d hoped they’d be. Even my worst shots are workable in PS.

3) I enjoy shooting with it. While not as minimalist as my Leica with just a couple dials and the aperture ring I have control over the camera instead of the other way around. After several hundred photos 90% of my manual remains unread.

4) The auto-focus isn’t as bad as folks make out. It’s not a Canon or Nikon but I didn’t expect it to be. Only a few times have I had the camera searching for focus and since I’m moving from the world of manual focus, it’s still faster and more accurate than I was.

5) I’ve got adapters on order my EOS and Leica lenses and am looking forward to trying them out. 

So far I’m thoroughly impressed with the 50R. Over the next few weeks I’ll take a few thousand shots and hopefully get as comfortable with it as I was with my Leica.

Interesting you moved from Leica. I assume it was the M system?  I also have used he M for many years, but kept the M due to being sure I could ude the 50R on the street.  The 45 so far is best suited GF lens for street to me, but I will try the small 50 when it comes out.

Agree about the AF system-it works fine for me and the grip is no big deal either.

Edited by algrove

• 1 year later...

Compared to my Leica:

Stunning colours and sharpness

The best working tethering with Lightroom and Liveview.

Webcam now in ZOOM meetings!

USB-C (although unsure why they would put it under the camera)

great power switch.

Excellent tech support

unexpected Light weight

and this is only after 3 days use.

I've always wanted both, a great viewfinder camera and finally medium format. The GFX 50R is just that, all other advantages have already been discussed in detail. Since it was kept very compact for its size, it can also be used to a limited extent when travelling.