GPS tracking in the field with Fuji

mc_hofman

I'm new at this forum. I can't find topics about GPS when using the top search field. So if there are, please excuse me for this question and help me to find those topics.

I'm currently using Nikon gear for my travel. I am considering switching to Fuji for that.

One of the issues I have with Fuji is the possibilities of GPS tracking. For Nikon I use the GP-1 GPS unit connected to my main camera. That gives me a very accurate trail of GPS locations in all of my images from that camera. Especially when I'm shooting in nature reserves I like to know my location at the time of shooting. 

As far as I am aware of now, Fuji does not have such a unit like the Nikon GPS or support one. There is a possibility to get a GPS connection from your smartphone but as far as I recall that's not on a regular base.

So I tried to use a GPS-app (GeotagPhotos2) on my iPhone and merge the GPS data later on in Lightroom. The merging part worked flawlessly but I was really disappointed by the sloppy accuracy of the iPhone.

How do you Fuji users get accurate GPS data in your files?

• 3 months later...

The Fujifilm Bluetooth implementation on my X-E3, if enabled, will drain the battery overnight when the camera's power switch is turned off. Bluetooth runs continuosly. I'm not sure if this is an intentional feature or a bug. Do not know if the X-T3 has the same problem. 

• 1 year later...

I regularly record my tracks to GPX, and find it as accurate as civilian GPS allows. Turning on WiFi may help around town. I’ve been using an old MotionX app on my iPhone but there are newer apps that do the same. I keep  my phone near the top of my pack. I find this works better than using the tethered GPS unit in my flash shoe eating up my camera battery. Then, sync it in Lightroom later.

• 2 years later...