Capture One Pro Fujifilm Vs Lightroom CC 8

While I was waiting on LR to support the X-T3 RAW files I did a trial of Capture One Pro Fujifilm... some comparison renders and thoughts on my site..

http://www.mostly.photos/blog/2018/10/18/capture-one-pro-11-fujifilm-vs-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-classic-cc-ver-8

It was worth the time to learn the basics and render a few Fuji RAWs... Capture One Pro is a seriously good application for Fuji IMO

"FUJI X-T3 ‘WORMS’

I presume that if you are reading this article then you will be familiar with the Fuji ‘Worms’ effect."

There is no Fuji Worms effect. There is an Adobe Worms effect.

"Adobe Lightroom struggles to sharpen Fuji X Trans RAW files without introducing some wormy artefacts."

No. Adobe's demosaicing of Fuji X-Trans raw files fails to appropriately render fine detail and that is the foundation of Adobe's Worms effect.

"Adobe has not addressed this issue and it looks likely that they may never do so. Sadly the issue persists in the latest release (Version 😎 of the software"

Indeed it does.

"The simplest solution to avoid the worms is to disable sharpening completely in Lightroom and sharpen either when exporting the file e.g. sharpen for web sharing or sharpen in Adobe Photoshop using unsharp mask filter."

No. The simplest solution to avoid the worms is to avoid Adobe software.

"There is no Fuji Worms effect. There is an Adobe Worms effect."

I like that statement as it is MUCH more accurate.  My problem is I am too familiar with Lightroom - it is much easier to use because I know it so well.  But I've not been happy with Adobe for a while now and keep looking for a suitable software to switch to permanently.  Like mostlyphotos above the new Fuji version of Capture One was the only software to bring about a prompt upgrade to the XT-3 so I started using it.  There's a very strong chance this will be my answer to where I will be moving to.  It is a fantastic Software.

I have also tried several other software including On1, Luminar, Raw Therapy, Irridient, ACDSee, etc.  Not one of them produced worms unless I really get ridiculous with the sliders.  Then all of them will to a degree, but nothing like what Lightroom does with just a slight adjustment.  

At this point I am waiting to see the new On1 2019 and the new version of Luminar when they come.  Between Capture One, OnOne Photo, & Luminar there are features I like and dislike about each.  Capture One being the most powerful, I love the way the Libraries work in OnOne, and I get the best results with Luminar.  On the other hand, Capture One is going to require a bit of a learning curve and require me to get accustomed to the different User Interface,  OnOne has great result, but not nearly as good as  the other two (Could be me not the software), and Luminar at this point is just a plug-in.  

I will be moving to one of them permanently after the first of the year, when I can give each another try.  Mostly because they all render Fuji files a GREAT deal better than Adobe.

• 2 months later...

I'm so familiar with Adobe that it's hard to overcome the workflow changes. Simply cropping in CaptureOne was frustrating and I'll need to see if I can stack photos for landscapes without relying on Photoshop before I can transition to another program

Well. It's the end of the year and both On1 2019 and Luminar 3 have come out so I had to make my decision.  All these software programs are excellent and each is best in one area or another.  I have found that converting to Tiff or DNG outside of Adobe then opening in LR works quite well and Iridient Transformer does a great job of batch converting to DNG.  So now I am converting to DNG and using "What Does What Best".  LR has the best Libraries functionality so I keep a catalog of my completed images converted to Tiff in LR for a gallery and final touch up.  But Luminar and C1 provide outstanding results so I develop in those two depending on what the image is.  So far this is working quite nicely.in

• 3 weeks later...

As interesting discussion. I have been Adobicised for many years and the workflow and catalogue suit me well. I think he Capture One engine is much kinder because of the co-operation between Phase One and Fujifilm and there's the dilemna. I enjoy using Capture One much more than Lightroom but the learning curve is steep. So, in the interim, does one create a Lightroom catalogue just for use with Lightroom/Photoshop files (and have to remember which programme was used) AND a catalogue for Capture One and again try to remember.

I tried to import my current LR catalogue of 58,000 images into Capture One having sat through their excellent Webinar. It keeled over because I hadn't bargained for the amount of time it would take, nor the amount of space.

Perseverence here is the key I think, because Capture One is much more enjoyable to use.

I’m using both.

I think "worms" and artefacts in Lightroom are a consequence of the way you sharpen rather than a property of Lightroom as such and you can match default Capture One sharpening in Lightroom so that's not my reason for using Capture One.  I have more about this in the "A RAW Workflow" art5icle in a nearby thread.

Capture One is a more powerful editor in many ways, especially for colour including regional control of colour and to a lesser extent, clarity and structure.

There are still many things I can do in LR and PS that I can’t do in C1. There’s also no point switching my catalogue over. I have 160,000 files which come to around 5.2TB. If I had to save them as TIFFs that would be five times as much disk space. I’d rather have a single catalogue for searching and printing and Lightroom is better for printing anyway.

I am processing most images in C1 but some work better in LR. I am often dual processing currently.

I export finished images from Capture One as TIFFs, copying them inside Lightroom as ProPhoto JPEGS and then deleting the TIFFs. When C1 gets Windows support for JPEGMini, I will be able to do that directly. The files have a _C1 filename suffix and are marked as Blue, so I can know which to go back to C1 to modify if necessary.

C1 does take a lot of effort to understand though, much more than LR I think.