XE2 to XE3 - worth the upgrade?

No built-in flash, no d-pad, much shorter eye-point. The last one is what killed the X-E3 for me because it's such a pain in the rear to use with my glasses. I had one for a short time, sold it again and went back to X-E2.

Other differences are the joystick, faster processor, and a lot of other smaller differences. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, cug said:

No built-in flash, no d-pad, much shorter eye-point. The last one is what killed the X-E3 for me because it's such a pain in the rear to use with my glasses. I had one for a short time, sold it again and went back to X-E2.

Other differences are the joystick, faster processor, and a lot of other smaller differences. 

I had the X-E2 and traded up to the X-E3 . The X-E3 comes with an external flash( included with the camera )which attaches to the flash shoe when needed and is MUCH better than the built in flash of the X-E2 , which was pretty much useless.

I also use glasses and I can't say that I noticed any difference when using the viewfinder . And I use it almost exclusively .

As far as other differences :  the new larger sensor and processor produce noticeably better pictures and the X-E3 has HDMI live view output ( which I really like because now I can plug in an external monitor for focusing when using my old manual lenses )

well, all the other improvements/differences are easy enough to get from the spec sheets ,so there is no point to list them here.

All in all, I liked the X-E2 but am very happy  that I made the upgrade . 

The problem with that little add-on flash (EF-X8) is that it's never there when you need it because nobody really leaves it on the camera all the time. Plus you can't bounce it. The only upside (pun intended) is that it's further up. I used the X-E2 flash often to optically trigger other flashes or bounce it off the ceiling or wall for just that little extra kick of illumination. 

Regarding EVF – it might not be a problem for you. I can tell you that the EVF is not fully visible with normal glasses on. So, if that doesn't bother you, fine. Other than that the EVF is okay. But for me, this detail makes it pretty crappy experience.

The sensor is the same size, different megapixel count. I can't tell the difference whether any of the prints I have (up to 30x40 inches) is from a 12, 16 or 24MP camera. That makes the resolution difference irrelevant. The only camera that I can reliably point out in the prints is the A7R III.

Edited by cug

I bought the X-E3 when it came out but could  not deal with the touchscreen swiping for Fn functions. I finally gave up altogether trying to stay with my favored "rangefinder" bodystyle and eventually acquired both an X-T2 and X-T20.' Pretty happy with them but I kept one of my X-E2's.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, cug said:

The problem with that little add-on flash (EF-X8) is that it's never there when you need it because nobody really leaves it on the camera all the time. Plus you can't bounce it. The only upside (pun intended) is that it's further up. I used the X-E2 flash often to optically trigger other flashes or bounce it off the ceiling or wall for just that little extra kick of illumination. 

Regarding EVF – it might not be a problem for you. I can tell you that the EVF is not fully visible with normal glasses on. So, if that doesn't bother you, fine. Other than that the EVF is okay. But for me, this detail makes it pretty crappy experience.

The sensor is the same size, different megapixel count. I can't tell the difference whether any of the prints I have (up to 30x40 inches) is from a 12, 16 or 24MP camera. That makes the resolution difference irrelevant. The only camera that I can reliably point out in the prints is the A7R III.

I still have both and for EVF itself I prefer to use X-E2. The EVF with shorter eye-point and even a bit lower magnification is the worst part of X-E3. It's trully the worst EVF I have experienced in last few years (try Sony, Oly and Panasonic). Add its terrible eyepiece and you feel it's point-and-shot style EVF.  Of course X-E2 EVF is not that great too but I see how better and more comfortable I frame with it compared to X-E3 one. I am not suppriced that X-E3 is not selling well. Fuji did big mistake bringing X-E3 with such poor EVF... same with removing d-pad and not bringing at least simple tilt LCD like X-A line have.

Edited by renes
x

• 2 weeks later...

Love using the XE-3, however I disabled the touchscreen as it was truly annoying. In general I find touchscreens useless. I never use the little flashes built in flashes, so that isn't a big deal to me. In fact I taped down the flash on the XE-2 as I would hit the button from time to time and it would pop up, I was worried about snapping it off. The XE-3 focus is better and the buffer is larger (raw plus jpg)  than the XE-2. While I still like the 2 I find it has limitations that modern cameras should not have. Not sure what the complaints with EVF is for people like me with glasses, also a non issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded from an X-E2 to the X-E3. I miss the X-E2's pop-up flash -- I never used it much but it did occasionally come in handy. And its bounce feature separated it from other camera built-in flashes. I don't use the X-E3 touchscreen. And I sometimes wonder if the joy stick might turn out to be fragile and open to damage, but it hasn't happened. I'm satisfied with my upgrade purchase, but if I had it to do all over again, I might stay with the X-E2 and invest the money in another lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the X-E3 to my X-E2 because of the Joy Stick and the fact that the J-Pegs are not overly compressed. On the X-E2 the J-Peg files sizes were frequently in the 4 to 6 meg range and very hard to do much editing with. But on the X-E3 the files sizes are what you would expect...roughly 12 to 15 megs and are much easier to edit. As for the lack of a built in flash on the X-E3, I rarely ever need it for my outdoor work....like never really. As for the touch screen, I don't use it and feel little benefit from it. 

Please, don't take this the wrong way, it just pains me a little bit: it's "JPEG" (Joint Photographic Experts Group) and "joystick". 

I kind of agree on the JPEGs, the newer models have of course larger file sizes due to 24 megapixel vs. the older 16MP, but I'm also under the impression that the JPEG compression ratio is slightly lower and therefore retains a bit more detail, especially in soft transitions, like sky or dark shadows. I find the 24MP JPEGs also easier to work with in Lightroom as long as I don't try to make significant color adjustments. Exposure, shadows and highlights, contrast, detail etc. works pretty well.

Update: oh, and welcome, just saw it's your first post here. 😉

Edited by cug

• 4 months later...

I was eyeing the XE3 to upgrade from XE2S because of lacking AF speed and precision (you can't track children with XE2S) but instead got a lightly used XT2 for the same price as a new XE3.

The difference is huge. Not only is AF a big improvement, with the XT2 I also got better controls, more useful options, and a much bigger viewfinder which I thought wasn't necessary but now I wouldn't want to go back.

XE3 and XT2 both have similar AF capabilities. But ergomically the XE3 is big leap behind the XT2 bodies: touch screen is a meaningless gimmick whereas the lack of  extra ISO/drive/metering dials and lack of extra Fn buttons is significant.

So yes an upgrade makes sense but I'd also consider XT2 as an upgrade form XE2.

I'd rather buy an older high end camera than a new low/medium end camera. 

• 2 months later...

I upgraded, and love it.  I do with the viewfinder was larger, however it is still quite good.  Even when wearing my glasses I can see the full frame.  I turned off the touch screen, because I'm a left eye shooter... nose... screen... no good.  I still had enough customizable buttons for all the features I use most.  The ISO doesn't bother me because I used a button for that.

Auto focus speed is up, and photo quality is pretty amazing with the newish sensor.  I couldn't go back.  I love the small size and shape.  It's a beautiful camera, yet doesn't attract huge attention (and as an introvert that is a great asset).

Are the SLR Styled camera's more flexible?  probably.  Do I need that flexibility?  No.  The real question for you is, what do you use.  What do you need?