What amount of purple fringe is OK for 16/1.4?

ajurjans

I had been reading and viewing a lot of reviews of the high-praised 16/1.4 and finally decided to go for it.
So I got a second hand  (still not cheap for a hobbyist) 16/1.4, still on warranty, in seemingly perfect shape. Have had it for about a week now, and had just a few opportunities to shoot.
What confuses me is the amount of purple fringe - I got this lens with the main intention to shoot in poor and/or difficult lighting scenarios. And this amount of purple fringe is very likely to give me hard time in quite a few of those. Can other owners of this lens comment, whether this is something they get from their lenses or should I send it to Fuji to take a look?
I am in Eastern Europe, there is not a vast Fuji dealer network here. Therefore, I want the comment first.
If this behavior is expected, I'll need to rethink having this lens...

In this one you can see the purple fringe around starrs even when zoomed out

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And here is a crop from around the center of the frame. Focus a bit off, but thats my fault.

Will appreciate any feedback.

Edited by ajurjans

The second image seems like something is seriously off with the lens, though I would be interested to know what RAW processing software you're using. I have seen this issue on backlit subjects before, though not nearly this bad. Sometimes Iridient Developer performs a little better in these situations, though Adobe has improved their Fuji performance.

In regards to the first image, I think this is actually fairly normal for astrophotography with this 16mm when shot wide open at f/1.4. That fringing is a common critique that I've read in many reviews which look at this lens for astro. That's one reason I've never used mine for astrophotography, you have to stop it down to about f/2.8 to get rid of that, which negates much of its advantage aside from being a wide focal length. That being said, I've never encountered such bad fringing as is shown in your second image.

Oh damn, that looks bad. I'll check my copy of XF 16/1.4 when I get back home.

I've made a test shot against the sun to simulate similar conditions while the sun is still up, but I realised I have left my memory card reader at home.

Edit:

It's not perfect, but much better. And can be easily corrected in post (well, in ACR at least, because somehow purple defringing in Capture One doesn't work at all).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Merde
Added photo

XF16 lens is significantly based to various corrections via software/firmware of camera.
I.e. an old camera with such relatively newest lens but without appropriate firmware update may produce strange artifacts, at least theoretically.
Worth to check. It's easy and free.

5 hours ago, Vidalgo said:

XF16 lens is significantly based to various corrections via software/firmware of camera.
I.e. an old camera with such relatively newest lens but without appropriate firmware update may produce strange artifacts, at least theoretically.
Worth to check. It's easy and free.

Not likely, we are talking about raw images here.