Turn off X-H1 Q button?

I agree - it's a crazy place to have put the Q button; I'm accidentally activating it all the time. The trouble is, I do use the Q screen quite often, so locking the button isn't an option for me. Here's hoping Fuji finds a more sensible location for it on the X-H2, when that eventually arrives!

• 1 month later...

Good point. It was a moment of optimism, soon dashed. I gave up after that. The 'none' option I found just inserts a 'none' in the Q menu itself, so just a null option, the point of which is not clear to me, but is of no use. I'm still struggling whenever I use that camera off a tripod -- and sometimes even on a tripod -- with hitting the Q when I'm going from landscape to portrait, etc. Sorry to hold out the glimmer of hope.

• 5 months later...

I found the perfect way to avoid accidentally hitting the Q menu button and thats to learn how to use back button focus.

To anyone who's not sure what back button focus is, it's when you use the AF-ON button as your focus button instead of the shutter button. This is good for two reasons, 1. when pressing the AF-ON button to focus you use your thumb keeping it well away from the Q button. 2. and most importantly you can press and keep pressing the AF-ON button to focus and then use the shutter button to take the photo, and if after you have taken the photo you keep pressing the AF-ON button you wont need to keep re-focusing if you are shooting the same subject because its already in focus, all you have to do is keep firing the shutter.

I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am new here and noticed this thread (which I guess is somewhat old), but I was wondering: So at this time, is there really no way to completely disable the Q button on the X-H1? 

I have an X-T30 and on that you can set it to "-"/"NONE" and then the Q button doesn't do anything when you are shooting (it does seem to still do something when in playback).  I think this was added in a later firmware than the original X-T30 firmware. 

I am thinking of buying an X-H1, but it would be bad if there is really no way to disable to Q button, or at least re-assign the Q function to a different button, so I wanted to check.

Thanks,

Jim

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, ohaya said:

Hi,

I am new here and noticed this thread (which I guess is somewhat old), but I was wondering: So at this time, is there really no way to completely disable the Q button on the X-H1? 

I have an X-T30 and on that you can set it to "-"/"NONE" and then the Q button doesn't do anything when you are shooting (it does seem to still do something when in playback).  I think this was added in a later firmware than the original X-T30 firmware. 

I am thinking of buying an X-H1, but it would be bad if there is really no way to disable to Q button, or at least re-assign the Q function to a different button, so I wanted to check.

Thanks,

Jim

1) Setup Menu -> Button/Dial Setting -> Lock -> Lock Setting -> Selected Function

2) Setup Menu -> Button/Dial Setting -> Lock -> Function Selection -> Q Button

I can't imagine nothing easier!... ;)