Xt3 Focusing with the XF100-400

mick ardron

Hi new member here so bear with !

I have an xt2 with various lenses and have heard of improvements with the 56mm 1.2 (which i use) , but I am only going to upgrade if it would yield improvements with other lenses. I refer specifically to the xf 100-400 focusing in moderate light and perhaps also the 50-140, although this is pretty good. I believe the new model focuses down to -3 ev but my question really is that  is the lens a potential bottleneck to the improvements. May sound a daft question but there is not much chance of me trying one out in the real world situations in the foreseeable future 

I can't help you with a scientific evaluation on this. However, birds-in-flight photography is a bit of a challenge with the 100-400mm on the X-T2. It is possible, but maintaining focus at high frame rate is very difficult. Using the X-T3 however, this is quite successful. It compares quite well with my D800E on the 500mm prime for maintaining focus. The tracking is clearly far superior to the X-T2.