X-T2 LCD and EVF Color Tint

howardgf

I've owned an X-T2 now for over 3 years and used an X-T1 as my just-in-case travel backup. I sold the X-T1 and bought another X-T2 from a highly rated seller on Fred Miranda who is divorcing Fuji for Nikon mirrorless. When I received the second X-T2 I bought I was checking it out and noticed that the live image viewed on the LCD and through the EVF, with both my and the newly acquired cameras set to monochrome, had what I would describe as a-kind-of sepia tint. This is also true when viewing the menu screen on both the LCD and EVF. My original X-T2 looked pure black and white while the one I just bought did not display the same tonality. I checked the screen settings for both cameras' LCD and EVF color and brightness settings and they are both the same, all 0's.

So I'm questioning is it normal to have this disparity between two exact same models, or is the one I just bought defective?

Edited by howardgf
Formatting

Has the White Balance setting been shifted to a warmer tone? Go into WB and click the arrow on the right of your chosen setting to bring up the WB shift screen. It's easy to accidentally move the point off-centre.

Edited by dfaye
sentence correction

4 hours ago, dfaye said:

Has the White Balance setting been shifted to a warmer tone? Go into WB and click the arrow on the right of your chosen setting to bring up the WB shift screen. It's easy to accidentally move the point off-centre.

Thanks for replying.  Yes, it was.  But centering the WB had no visible effect on the tonality difference I'm seeing between the two cameras.  I guess if I were not looking at both cameras I wouldn't know the difference existed.  I'm going to take a controlled black and white shot with each camera of a lens calibration test board to see if there is any difference in the image tonality.  Any other suggestions are welcome.

I'd also check if both cameras have same firmware. But thechically it should be just slightly different screen hardware.

I have two exact model mobile phones purchased with a 1 year gap. One phone shows slightly warmer tones comparing to the other one.

Another assumption is that EVF/LCD screen may slighly change the tint due to the screen age.

And my last assumption is - if there is any protective screen film/glass, it may also influence color tint.

I personally think there are nothing wrong with your second camera, and test image results should show exact 100% color match.

5 hours ago, yukosteel said:

I'd also check if both cameras have same firmware. But thechically it should be just slightly different screen hardware.

I have two exact model mobile phones purchased with a 1 year gap. One phone shows slightly warmer tones comparing to the other one.

Another assumption is that EVF/LCD screen may slighly change the tint due to the screen age.

And my last assumption is - if there is any protective screen film/glass, it may also influence color tint.

I personally think there are nothing wrong with your second camera, and test image results should show exact 100% color match.

Both are running the same firmware.  I took test shots with each under controlled conditions and am satisfied the images from both look almost identical.  Thanks for your suggestions.