What don't you like about the new GFX 50R?

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you want to do but for street I would say either the 45mm  or even the 63mm, both are light and not too large. Both are faster than 50/3.5. Anything smaller and lighter would be a bonus for this type of photography.

Coupled to a slightly lighter camera in the 50R this could be a winner, but not for me!

Edited by Him

Well now I have handled the 50R next to my 50S I have a few simple opinions of my own.

I personally love rangefinders and this style of camera, however for me the 50R falls short.

1) The grip feels as if nought is there so not comfortable.

2) Battery moved from the side and the USB cable also on the bottom of the camera. Sorry for me a big fail.

3) Left hand side of camera empty space. No ISO dial.... yes I know it is available in a round about fashion, but that is not as simple and straightforward as a dial.

4) Viewfinder is good, I would not have missed the 50S if I had changed to the 50R.

5) 50R uses the new USB-C, but did not recognise my Cfast 2.0 card, that would be a great way to have a backup or to use for video.

6) Size surprised me! The 50R is slightly taller and slightly wider! It is however lighter and not so deep. After reading all I could on the web, I was suprised by the size, I expected smaller.

So there you have it. I keep my GFX50S, in my view it is a better camera. By better I mean more comfortable to hold and has more convenient controls.

Thanks H.  Well I have ordered one along with the 63, 23 and 110. Will try the 50/3.5 once its out mainly due to its smaller size.

I used to use my Pentax 645Z on the street and even with older/smaller lenses like the 35 found it easy to manage.  I just loved this sensor before so now with C1 I might be loving it even more.

Edited by algrove

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What don't I like?  The fact I don't have a second 50R body as I'm trying to sell some of my X bodies and lenses.  LOL.  Oh, and the fact the rear LCD doesn't articulate properly when the camera is in portrait orientation.  That's it.

2 hours ago, jlmphotos said:

The LCD only works horizontally (?). If you place the camera in a portrait/vertical orientation the rear LCD does not title upward like the XT2, X-H1 and other cameras.

Thanks, now I know what you mean.

• 1 month later...

I do not like that it does not have a BIS CMOS at it's core.  If you're going to tout enhanced ISO and better light gathering, it really needs to be done on a BIS CMOS.  Now the question is do I buy this 'reduced medium' format w/o BSI or do I buy a less expensive full frame with BSI?

Edited by jw432

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I picked up the 50r and love it ... the only things I don't like are minor.

The biggest irritation: The USB port is on the bottom opposite the on/off switch.  I find it cumbersome to set down, usb-c plug in and turn on.  I can't set the camera on its base (because the cable is on the bottom) like I can with my x-e3.  So now I let the edge of the base dangle over my computer case.  That works but it took me a while to get there.  The usb cover feels a bit cheap and the way it opens means I have to struggle a bit to get it out of the way to get the usb-c plugged in.  Also it would be nice if I could switch the card access from usb transfer to raw convert mode without having to unplug the cable, but that issue is not specific to the gfx 50. 

One of the reasons I like it (besides all the obvious stuff) that I don't have to learn a whole new system after being really comfortable with my x-e3.