XF 90mm NOW shipping at BHphoto: “Sharper than Japanese Steel […] it will leave the most pedantic pixel peepers speechless” - review at bokeh-monster

Patrick FR

To me, it is the technically most perfect lens I have ever had. Of course, that's a bold statement without explanation. As the 90 "only" has f/2 and not f/1.4 the optical design has even less compromises than, say, an Otus has (optical aberrations become 7x more larger when enlarging the aperture 1 stop during design process. So it's a lot easier to design a near perfect f/2 lens than an f/1.4. Also, I never saw such MTFs. Not even with Leica lenses (I had to check with my Leica lens book).

I had high expectations and they were excelled. This lens defines sharpness on a whole new level. The contrast, sharpness, out of focus rendering. It just looks right.

I posted and will continue to post some sample pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcsphotog/sets/72157655613873165

Feel free to check them out but also look at the EXIF data. Most of them are taken at higher ISOs as I didn't manage to go out earlier due to university.

Guest kbures

Just received my 90mm from Adorama. I'm sure the images will be great (all the reviews say they will be, but I haven't had time to evaluate them yet), but what is quite disappointing to me is that the lens has something inside it that clunks around when you move it as if there were a heavy set of lenses inside that are banging around. When the camera is turned on and you move the camera, you hear near-constant motor noises, even though the camera (X-T1 with v.4 firmware) is not in any continuous focus mode. It is not actually focusing, as far as I can tell, it's just making motor noises and probably using up the battery. I also don't like the hunting that goes on when it does focus. It always overshoots once and then comes back. It's quick but annoying. I only have the 18-55mm lens for comparison, and it is both quiet and fast. 

Amazon.de sold its first 3 copies in about 3-4 hours yesterday ... got mine yesterday from a local dealer via online order ... very impressed !

First indoor tests are amazing, no stabilization needed ... of course no surprise, I'm experienced on Nikon 135 f/2 D ... ;-)

Now portrait shooters and dads got what they need ...

Just received my 90mm from Adorama. I'm sure the images will be great (all the reviews say they will be, but I haven't had time to evaluate them yet), but what is quite disappointing to me is that the lens has something inside it that clunks around when you move it as if there were a heavy set of lenses inside that are banging around. When the camera is turned on and you move the camera, you hear near-constant motor noises, even though the camera (X-T1 with v.4 firmware) is not in any continuous focus mode. It is not actually focusing, as far as I can tell, it's just making motor noises and probably using up the battery. I also don't like the hunting that goes on when it does focus. It always overshoots once and then comes back. It's quick but annoying. I only have the 18-55mm lens for comparison, and it is both quiet and fast.

Same here ... seems that's the disadvantage of magnetic linear af motor ... the clunking sound being turned off comes from pushing the motor construction into some rubber buffer while being stabilized by magnet when turned on ... but! repeat accuracy of focusing is very good in my first tests ... this should be the advantage of this kind of motor ... very good for serial portrait shooting ... and this is what this lens is for ...

Today I will also test it with MCEX-16 which is very good on 55-200 and has even a better magnification 0,4 vs. 0,28 ...

Only short outdoor test session (I have to do some garden work ;-) ...

All pics directly OOC (X-T1), EShutter (f/2 and a lot of sun ...;-) no flash, no PostP, sorry no Exif (via Wifi to Pad) ...

In my opinion 55-200 is the better combination with MCEX-16, because zoom will give you much more macro work range and you have IS ... and it's also that sharp ...

But for portrait it's that sharp ... not good for critical models ...

Background is just melting away ... this is what we know from Fuji lenses and what we want ...

See 5 newest pics in stream:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hightower196/

wonderful lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm so happy with images from my new XF90mm, I cannot help but to share one image with You.

The only concern I have is related to free play of focusing elements while lens not attached on camera turned on. Seems so wrong there is no "parking" of this clunky lens group similarly to construction of HDD head parking at power off.

fda2ae40e04eb4ac8ac7499005c21b5b.jpg

I had a nice surprise this afternoon when my XF90 arrived two weeks before estimated delivery date. First impression is wOw... need some time to go out and play. FYI - I checked three web shops and all have it stocked here in Sweden.