Should I trade in my XT1 for an XT3

silverhow

I have an XT1 and absolutely love it. I'm thinking of trading it in for an XT3 - but am wondering if it is worth it. I'm not really interested in movies, and most of the extra you get with the XT3 seems to be in the video area. Also, is the XT3 heavier than the XT1? I really like the light weight of the XT1.

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 4:15 AM, silverhow said:

I have an XT1 and absolutely love it. I'm thinking of trading it in for an XT3 - but am wondering if it is worth it. I'm not really interested in movies, and most of the extra you get with the XT3 seems to be in the video area. Also, is the XT3 heavier than the XT1? I really like the light weight of the XT1.

I think you've answered your own question!

• 1 month later...

I'm in the second year with my X-T2 and when I saw the reviews of the X-T3 I saw a few things that peaked my interest too. But after considering my shooting needs , I did not think the upgrade would make  me a better photographer.

Like you, I don't do video. But the advantage over the X-T1 could be significant depending on your photographic needs (not wants) . The16 mpx of the X-T1 really is enough for great prints of 16 x 20 +. Coming from Pentax, all X series cameras focus much faster and more accurate . I also rarely use the boost mode, only needed for fast action.

If you shoot a lot of low light photography, you, and I, could benefit from the improved sensors lower noise at higher ISO, but low noise is relative ( see the attached image I took, as a guest, at a wedding . ISO 12,800 with the 18-55 f2.8-4).

As long as you are satisfied with your results stop chasing gear. The next camera will always be better than the last...………. I am waiting for the new camera with auto composition. That could help.

Keep shooting 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At this point, you're unlikely to see a huge return from the XT1 as it's definitely aging. I'm seeing them sold used for somewhere in the ~$220 - $250 range for a decent copy on fleabay.
That said, the upgrade even to the XT2 is huge compared to the XT1. I've been thinking of selling mine off as I still have an XE2 with the same sensor and a couple XH's around now so it's mostly just collecting figurative dust. Any extra cash can go back into something else, it's made it's money back and someone else could use it.

EDIT: Ah, just saw you got an XT3, nice score! Bet you'll love it :)

Edited by eurotrash

When I was shooting Pentax ,and still working, I usually upgraded every other model because there was enough improvement to make it worthwhile.

In late 2017  I made the switch to the XT system for two reasons.  First there was and still has not been a replacement for the Pentax K3 in APS c  ( still no replacement after 5 years) but mostly because my kit was becoming to get too heavy.  Now , I love the XT 2 and the great glass in my kit, but I like the upgrades of the XT3 .

The question I ask myself . Is the faster autofocus or better low light performance going to give me better images, of what I shoot and my shooting style? For me the answer is no.

As I lose agility my style has changed with my subject matter. I also review images I shot 10 years ago when 10  -15 megapixel was the rage, and found I was doing better work because I was able to work harder and longer to get good images.  I'm in the 4th quarter of my photographic journey and the gear I have is far superior to anything I have ever used, so I like to think the chase is over . I said that before ,just wait till they announce the XT4 😁

But seriously, I recently compared Images from my XT2 with the Kit 18- 55 to Images I shot with my Mamiya RB 67  ( a camera with 120 film and  6 x 7 cm film size) the APS c blows them away. Imaging  and cameras will always get better, to me It makes sense to change when the upgrades will make your images better. That is usually done by improving technique over buying new gear.

• 3 months later...

Look at the X-H1.  1299.00 price can't be beat.  I actually bought the X-T3, but when I saw the X-H1 for 1299 with the grip and two batteries, I returned the X-T3 and kept the X-H1.  It's amazing, and can't beat the price.