silverhow

Should I trade in my XT1 for an XT3

I have an XT1 and absolutely love it. I'm thinking of trading it in for an XT3 - but am wondering if it is worth it. I'm not really interested in movies, and most of the extra you get with the XT3 seems to be in the video area. Also, is the XT3 heavier than the XT1? I really like the light weight of the XT1.

On 9/20/2018 at 4:15 AM, silverhow said:

I have an XT1 and absolutely love it. I'm thinking of trading it in for an XT3 - but am wondering if it is worth it. I'm not really interested in movies, and most of the extra you get with the XT3 seems to be in the video area. Also, is the XT3 heavier than the XT1? I really like the light weight of the XT1.

I think you've answered your own question!

I'm in the second year with my X-T2 and when I saw the reviews of the X-T3 I saw a few things that peaked my interest too. But after considering my shooting needs , I did not think the upgrade would make  me a better photographer.

Like you, I don't do video. But the advantage over the X-T1 could be significant depending on your photographic needs (not wants) . The16 mpx of the X-T1 really is enough for great prints of 16 x 20 +. Coming from Pentax, all X series cameras focus much faster and more accurate . I also rarely use the boost mode, only needed for fast action.

If you shoot a lot of low light photography, you, and I, could benefit from the improved sensors lower noise at higher ISO, but low noise is relative ( see the attached image I took, as a guest, at a wedding . ISO 12,800 with the 18-55 f2.8-4).

As long as you are satisfied with your results stop chasing gear. The next camera will always be better than the last...………. I am waiting for the new camera with auto composition. That could help.

Keep shooting 244461469_TakenatISO12800.jpg.4831f7daedb4d76343301253ce5a971c.jpg

I traded in my X-T1 and X-T2 for an X-T3.  Really happy. focus is much faster.  Still love the small APS-C sized camera after shooting Nikons professionally for 30 years.

The weight difference is minor.

Edited by sgmcenroe
added info

Thanks very much. I *did* trade my XT1 in for an XT3 about a month ago and I am very satisfied. The extra pixels are great - can select quite small areas of an image to enlarge and there are enough pixels to maintain quality.