Fuji XT3 vs X100F vs XE3

AndrewB

Hey everyone,

I recently sold my Canon 5D Mark iii as I wanted something smaller to take everywhere I go and I have grown to love Fuji! I am between the brand new XT3, X100F, and the XE3. I want to have the camera everywhere I go and I do a lot of street photography. I was hoping I could hear some opinions on which camera would suit me best.

Thanks,

Andy

Three completely different cameras. The X100F has a fixed lens and, unless you don't need anything more, you can go for that. However, you might find yourself in a situation you need a different lens.
So I'd go for the XT3 or the XE3. Apart the characteristics, you should go in a shop and handle both, since they're two different philosophies.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's impossible compare the XT3 whit the others two cameras, simply because the size, so different. Sorry Steve, I don't think that "XT3 would provide you with everything". AndrewB if you "want to have the camera everywhere I go and you do a lot of street photography" with the XT3 you're going to have quite problems.

Cheers

Edited by Paco

I have an XPro2, an XE3, and an X100F. Love them all and if I had the XT3 I’d love that as well. But I find myself walking out the door with the X100F or the XE3 more often than the Pro 2. If I could only have one, I’d go with the XE3 for three reasons - its small, I can change lenses, and it feels great in use.  So does the X100F - so how do I distinguish — the ability to change lenses. But if I were you, I’d get both. They are FUN and the output in phenonmenal. 

If you said you could afford two Fuji models, I would go with the X100F and the XT20 (don't overlook this option) or XT3. If you can only have one, and you wants as small a footprint as you can get while still having some lens options, I would go with the X-E3. If you are are certain that a 23mm (35mm fov on full frame) will suit the vast majority of your needs and you can only have one Fuji, I would go with the X100F.

The XT3 is the largest and certainly gets you away from the concept that the X100F and the XE3 provides. However, having owned all the models listed above, I don't find the XT3 to be as large as some articles and reviews suggest. I guess it is all in the feel of the beholder, but I was expecting a feel or experience that was significantly different than the XT20 and, while larger, I don't find it any more challenging or difficult or cumbersome to take the XT3 anywhere I took the XT20. But, as with all things, others may have a different impression.

• X100F if you are absolutely certain 23mm is all you need and you like the retro rangefinder look
  • XE3 if you want the smallest footprint that lets you change lenses. (XE3 is a sweet camera)
  • XT3 (or XT20) if you want traditional SLR look and additional features at a cost 

If you " want to have the camera everywhere I go "  and different focal lengths , you are looking for a very small foot-print with a zoom lens. I would say it has to get into a coat pocket and no extra accessory.

None of the actual Fuji cameras fit the bill.......and like you, I am waiting for Fuji to produce that camera.

So for the time being I am with another brand and  keep waiting.

I have the X100F but do sometimes find the wide angle lens just a bit too wide.  I take street and architecture mostly so a short zoom is plenty but as a petite older female, I like a petite camera that is unobtrusive, fits into a coat pocket and that no-one notices.  So like tooppy i am with another make for now.  Having said that, the picture quality of the Fuji is stunning, as is the level of control you have over everything the camera can do, but take a week off to get through the instruction book first or you won’t know what you’re doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

X-E3 is very versatile and discrete. My casual walkabout kit comprises E1 or E2 with 27mm pancake and a tiny 50mm f2.O Jupiter (Leica thread) lens in a pocket. Can’t get to like the faux pentaprism of the T series, but most forum members seem to love it, judging by number of posts.

try handling both in a good camera shop - if you can find one!