AUTO ISO issues on X-Series

nikrawal

Hi Friends,

I have set the Auto ISO A1 to 200-800, A2 to 800-1600 an A3 to 1600-3200. My Min. shutter speed is 1/125 for A1 and A2 and 1/60 for A3. Now when I shoot at say A1, it always ends up taking the highest ISO (800 in this case) and does not stick to the min. shutter speed of 1/125 and goes below say 1/40 and sometime even 1/8 etc resulting in blurry / soft images? Why does this happen and how can I stop it from going below the min. shutter speed that I have specified. My shutter speed dial is at A (is this the problem ?). 

Many thanks in advance

Nikhil

Are you shooting in low light or with a very small aperture? With the Auto ISO settings, the camera will respect the highest ISO you have set (in your case 800), but if it can't get enough light for a correct exposure at that ISO setting, it will lengthen the shutter speed until it *can* expose correctly, even if this means going below the minimum shutter speed you have set. 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually shoot in manual mode and set my ISO to daylight for my landscape shots in early morning or just after sunset. If you set your ISO to automatic ,as long as you are shooting in manual mode with aperture priority  , you can set your ISO to anything you want. 

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I first got my XE-2. That's the way the system works. It won't let you underexpose. Full manual gets over that, but you have to get  ISO and aperture right for the speed, obviously. But if it is shutter speed that is key, I shoot in shutter priority, set ISO and let aperture run free. But I take test shots to get an idea of the aperture, however.

What I've had happen is that in manual mode with Auto ISO, the camera will occasionally grossly overexpose. Usually it will just be 1 or 2 shots, but yesterday I had a whole series of shots that were way too overexposed. Shooting in very bright sunlight, 1/1000 sec @ f8, the camera set the ISO for one shot to 10,000! It should have been 200. After a dozen or so shots like that, it suddenly straightened itself out and started exposing normally. FYI, I shoot a lot from the hip so I can't check exposure as I'm going. That's why I tend to rely on Auto ISO, although it clearly isn't always dependable. It may be time to go full-on manual and set everything, including the ISO, myself. I do wish that "automatic" was more "automagic!"