Help me choose my first Fuji X

Filippo

Hello there,

I'm Filippo from Italy. I'm currently studying philosophy and I'm very passionate about photography.

I've been following the recent growth of Fuji cameras since the x100 and fell in love with the rangefinder style of shooting.

Now, I'm mostly a street-landscape-travel photography type of guy and I don't like to carry around huge DSLRs and Lenses. I'm always moving around, I like to be sneaky and not intimidating, but I still want a camera that I'd be able to carry around with me almost all the times. I'm using a canon 600D and a 7D but in the last trips I grew tired of them. Too heavy, people actually staring at me and saying things like "are you a paparazzi?"...and well, I'm not shooting like I used to and I lost a bit of the free-time passion. 

So, I need a change and I've been eyed Fuji for a long time, but with all these cameras coming out and soon-to-come I'm a bit confused. I really like the rangefinder type of shooting and I would go for the xpro, x100 series accordingly. I would like to wait for the xpro2 but I think it will be way over 1000€ body only (?) when/if it comes out, but on the other hand the xpro1 seems a bit outdated.

A couple of questions then to figure it out:

1. Is the xpro1 really outdated even with the last firmware? Would it be a good choice for me, taking into account where I come from and what I like? Is the AF really that terrible?

2. What about the x100T. Would that be a good choice to start for me, even if it's "limited"?

Answers and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

the X pro 1 didn’t get updated with the last firmware but it is still usable... at least it is like when it first came out. Back then some were happy about it some weren’t all that happy.

Yet, you can buy a X-T10 body now for €699 and you could get a kit with a good lens for not much more.

A lot more for a lot less.

It will give you a camera that is a lot newer and will stay a lot newer than any older X Pro 1.

The X-Pro1 is outdated in terms of the autofocus with some lenses and some of the nicer, more user-friendly tweaks and features of the new cameras, but it still produces the same great images and for casual use it's not really all that different from any other Fuji camera. I know a few professionals who still use the X-Pro1 as their main camera, even though they have an X-T1, because they simply prefer the feel of the X-Pro1. If you really like the rangefinder cameras then the X-Pro1 is the way to go. And because it is a little old you can buy them secondhand for relatively little money. Just be aware that some of the older lenses, especially the 60mm macro lens, focus slowly with the X-Pro1. The newer lenses focus just fine.

There's the X-E2 as well, which is virtually the same as the X-Pro1 but a tiny bit newer, a tiny bit smaller and a tiny bit cheaper. The autofocus works slightly better. It doesn't have an optical viewfinder, though. It only has an electronic viewfinder.

The X100T is a superb camera and is a good way to start with Fuji. I started with the X100S myself, and I think most Fuji users started with one of the X100 cameras. For general travel work I don't think it is limited at all because, in my experience, you usually end up staying between 24-50mm and the 35mm view of the X100/S/T is perfect. If you want to carry around more options, you can get additional lens converters which extend the X100T's view to that of a 50mm lens, or widen it to 28mm. The X100T's only drawback is that in most countries it costs quite a lot.

I wouldn't worry about the X-Pro2 because it is very unlikely to be available until next year, and there is no point waiting that long. Even if the X-Pro2 is a lot better and you decide you want it, you have 6+ months to save up for it and any camera you buy now could be sold again to help fund that purchase when the time comes.

Thanks for the responses.

The X-T10 is a great camera but for me the choice is between the x100t and the xpro1, simply because i want the OVF/EVF and the rangefinder type of shooting.

The x100T would probably cost a little more than an xpro1 with 35mm lens...also I could take advantage of the 100€ cashback offer on the xpro1 that in Italy should last until the end of July.

Though, I don't really know if I could sell it once the xpro2 comes out...

If budget is your main concern - the X-Pro 1 wins hands down. It is such a lovely camera to carry around and shoot with.

The A/F issues people talk about are very much to do with sports/ action/ wildlife. For what you want it is fine.

As for portability and not breaking your back - will the X100T wins hands down, even over the lovely X-Pro 1. It will fit in a shirt breast pocket in some of the shirts - no hope of that with an X-Pro 1!

Also, the X-100T has wifi giving you the optin to back up or post shots to your blog, FB etc at the time of the shoot. I'm now about to start mastering that aspect of the X-100T, but it really is a pocket marvel.

That said - I do still miss the X-Pro 1 some times :-(

Filippo - the choice is yours ;-)

if you want a rangefinder, then get the X pro 1 and be happy.

Because is yesterday’s camera It’s cheap  now and bound to be even cheaper soon.

I can buy one with a 18mm and 27mm for ( and all kind of accessories and a 5 year guarantee...) for €899.

if you want a rangefinder, then get the X pro 1 and be happy.

Because is yesterday’s camera It’s cheap  now and bound to be even cheaper soon.

I can buy one with a 18mm and 27mm for ( and all kind of accessories and a 5 year guarantee...) for €899.

Where where o_o

While if many people do "recommend", i wouldn't buy anymore an X-Pro1 these days. (Although i had one and loved it.)
If the hybrid finder is really needed, yes, then take an X-Pro1. However, the OVF with the X-Pro1 must be used appropriately. (Lots of people failed in this.)

If it should be an older model to minimize spending, i'd rather go with an X-E2.
Note that X-E2 already has the sensor with phase detection pixels which enables PDAF which was an important step in the AF history of the Fuji X cams.
(The X-Pro1 has NO pd-pixels and no PDAF.)

Is the AF really that terrible?

Hard to answer. It depends ;-)
Lots of people say AF generally sucks on Fuji X cams. Most of them just fail in proper usage.
Lots of people stated the AF of the X-Pro1 is sufficient when the camera was released with firmware 1.0. (I also said that in the days i was using the X-Pro1).
Even nowadays many people tell X-Pro1 AF is satisfactory; and some of the same people report slow speed of lenses as the XF23, XF35, XF60, ...  

Most probably X-Pro2 won't be available this year.
If you do not dislike the SLR style of X-T1 or X-T10, i would buy one of these.

Budget wise, I will also advise the X-Pro1 or if you can wait a bit for the X-70 that will be released later this year.

From the little time I had it in my hands, the X-Pro1 is a camera that makes you slow down, taking the time to compose your shot and think a bit about your light. 

The oldie look has is flavorful eye candy and the camera handling is rather nice.

The AF is indeed slower than the X-T1 from before the FW 4.0 update even when using fast lens like the 35mm.

Although I really disliked the View Finder, it's not going enough in one direction or too much in the other, I prefer either full OVF or EVF, the middle ground thing didn't worked for me.

I wouldn't be scared of the X100T if I were you. I got the X-T1 to be safe, because I do the odd paid job and wanted to make sure I had interchangeable lenses and the fastest handling possible. After owning the X-T1 and using an X100S, I'd prefer the X100T for everyday/street/travel photography. If you do the odd portrait or take landscape a little more seriously, you can get the wide and tele adapters for the X100 and get 18mm, 23mm, and 35mm.

When I'm just shooting "personal" work or taking my camera around with me, I often have trouble choosing which lens to bring (or end up bringing a larger bag that holds all three) - if I had the money, I'd grab an X100T just to use as an everyday camera to streamline everything that much more.

If you don't need a huge range of lenses, and don't need the fastest performing Fuji camera possible, I'd say the X100T is worth a serious look. For what you mentioned in your original post, it's maybe the perfect camera.

Not to be critical of anybody recommending a newer model FUJI, but why ? Is the image quality that much better ? Other than software changes (not sure all is an improvement) what real advantages do newer models offer ?

Seems to me that for anybody starting out the PRO 1 is more than enough of a camera and from what I hear on these forums, it produces outstanding images, as good or better, than newer bodies.

I use an E-1 myself and don't plan to upgrade until the images show real improvements.

Hmmm ... wonder if I should duck at this point (quack quack)

it all depends what you do with your camera.

If landscape is what you shoot it makes not too MUCH sense to buy the latest camera, but then again, you could do very well with an X-M1 then and save lots of money.

If you shoot moving subjects , do some macro in autofocus or shoot in dim light it certainly does makes sense to buy the newest Fuji.

Different strokes.

Not to be critical of anybody recommending a newer model FUJI, but why ? Is the image quality that much better ? Other than software changes (not sure all is an improvement) what real advantages do newer models offer ?

Seems to me that for anybody starting out the PRO 1 is more than enough of a camera and from what I hear on these forums, it produces outstanding images, as good or better, than newer bodies.

I use an E-1 myself and don't plan to upgrade until the images show real improvements.

The OP is looking for mostly rangefinders and there is only that many that fit the bill on the Fuji X line up bodies. All three of the X100/S/T and the X-Pro1. Later this year we might get the X70 and early next year X-Pro2.

Considering he owns already the X100, and the changes between the X100 and the X100S are rather minimal, it kinda make sense, budget wise to lean toward the older X-Pro1, it is still a very capable camera and with the 27mm lens, you get almost the same deal as the X100 series, only you can swap lens out to fit your needs. Also, the X-Pro1 brings something new to the table compared to the three X100/S/T, which are in essence the same camera.

The future X-70 could be something worth waiting for, at least until we get a bit more details about before taking a decision. 

Plus side, since the X-Pro2 is going to be released early next year, it will make the X-Pro1 price drop down.

On your example, the X-E1 with ANY glass would either close or over the 1000€, when you know that there are nice combo kits for X-Pro1, I saw a deal for a X-Pro1 with 18mm and 27mm for 999€ the other day and they even added a leather carrying case with it. It's hard to still go for the X-E1 even for just the body.

DARKNJ -

I use the E-1, I did not mean to infer the OP get the E-1. I was suggesting he get the PRO 1.

The prices you quote for across the pond make that also a better deal.

Some time this fall (if the price is right) I hope to pick up the PRO 1 body for myself, but for right now, the E-1 is great. I just don't care for the EVF on my E-1. The OVF on my X100 is much better for my eyes and the PRO 1 has a similar OVF. The only reason I got the E-1 in the first place was to try out a FUJI glass. I got the E-1 for the price of the kit lens plus $1 here in the US. I was blown away by that kit lens. Since then, I have been building my X glass collection.

DARKNJ -

I use the E-1, I did not mean to infer the OP get the E-1. I was suggesting he get the PRO 1.

The prices you quote for across the pond make that also a better deal.

Some time this fall (if the price is right) I hope to pick up the PRO 1 body for myself, but for right now, the E-1 is great. I just don't care for the EVF on my E-1. The OVF on my X100 is much better for my eyes and the PRO 1 has a similar OVF. The only reason I got the E-1 in the first place was to try out a FUJI glass. I got the E-1 for the price of the kit lens plus $1 here in the US. I was blown away by that kit lens. Since then, I have been building my X glass collection.

Please accept my apologies, I misread your message and got confused about the conveyed information.

As for the X-E1, I fully agree with you, it's a perfectly capable camera, I do miss the VF as I like to be able to take photos in relatively dark environment without flashing a lid LCD at the ppl behind me, but that has more to do with my upbringing than anything else.

I think I'll go for the xpro1. Good deals here in Italy with cashbacks until the end of July. Don't need to wait for the xpro2 which for what I know could be available in one year or more and very pricey. I can keep the xpro1 for a long time and then move to the xpro2 if it will be worth it in a couple of years ( when maybe I'll have the money too). Now I just have to decide the lens(es)....

Inviato dal mio HTC One_E8 utilizzando Tapatalk

The T has better AF/overall performance, a more fleshed out viewfinder, wifi, and the Classic Chrome/electronic shutter firmware. Not to mention, the T has the new standardized control layout, so if Filippo gets into Fuji as a system, he'll have a smoother transition to future bodies. If those don't matter, then by all means, save some money and go with the S. But rather than explain that for every post, I think it's easier to just recommend the T, seeing as it's the current model.

The X-Pro 1 is a totally different ballgame IMHO, and someone should go into that camera knowing what to expect and being willing to make some performance sacrifices for the experience. Same goes with the original X100, but to a lesser degree. While the X-Pro 1 is indeed a fine camera, and even though it's seen improvements through firmware updates, it's still a very clunky camera by today's standards and could potentially turn off some newcomers. It's a great way to get your Fuji fix on the cheap, but I don't think it's good to recommend it as a first camera without some warnings.

The T has better AF/overall performance, a more fleshed out viewfinder, wifi, and the Classic Chrome/electronic shutter firmware. Not to mention, the T has the new standardized control layout, so if Filippo gets into Fuji as a system, he'll have a smoother transition to future bodies. If those don't matter, then by all means, save some money and go with the S. But rather than explain that for every post, I think it's easier to just recommend the T, seeing as it's the current model.

The X-Pro 1 is a totally different ballgame IMHO, and someone should go into that camera knowing what to expect and being willing to make some performance sacrifices for the experience. Same goes with the original X100, but to a lesser degree. While the X-Pro 1 is indeed a fine camera, and even though it's seen improvements through firmware updates, it's still a very clunky camera by today's standards and could potentially turn off some newcomers. It's a great way to get your Fuji fix on the cheap, but I don't think it's good to recommend it as a first camera without some warnings.

I've been warned. But still, coming from a Canon 600D I doubt I will have something to complain about the AF or the overall processing etc. The x100T is cool, but I don't know if it is the best choice now, considering my savings and other things

X-PRO1 and X-E1 have first gen sensor that was improved in many aspects for x-E2 and X-T1 (and now X-T10); X-E1 also has an electronic viewfinder that is so slow that you'll be anticipating all photos you're gonna take; X-PRO1 used is ridiculously expensive. In brief: don't buy them.

You can go for X-E2 that is good overall.

In my opinion X-T1 is very good but still lacks important features that I want for it's price.

Better buying a X-T10.

If you want to go for something useful and cheap go buy a used X-E2.