Convince me

ron777

Over my many years of photographic involvement, I have owned and sold at least one version of just about every camera ever made in both the 35mm, video and medium format varieties, and have engaged in many photographic genres.  In recent years, however, I have coalesced my imaging interests into a combination of landscape, people and occasional macro and very little, if any, video.  That said, the first sentence in this post should make evident the fact that I am very much the gear-hog, and am constantly on the lookout for the latest and greatest photographic gear.  Due to a burst of common sense, I have managed to whittle down my harem of cameras to a Fuji GFX 50s, Sony A7RIII, an older A7R,  and a Leica M10.  As a relative old-timer, I like the availability of the external/mechanical settings afforded by the the GFX and am intrigued by the newly announced Xt3.  However, despite the fact that I could easily preorder(read: money is no object) said new release, I am finding it difficult to justify the purchase given the quality and capability of my existing cameras.  In the past, the APS-C cameras were smaller and lighter than other mirrorless models, but that's no longer true to any significant extent.  And while the Xt3 has the surface mounted controls that I enjoy, it may tend to hobble my photographic endeavors, which often require significant cropping, due to its diminutive sensor, as compared to the already owned—for example—Sony A7RIII.  Am I missing something in my evaluation?

I really think that you don’t need any other camera than the ones you already have, in fact, I believe that you have already too many cameras.

Use the ones that you have and be happy, go and sin no more.If there is any way for you to be happy with what you have, please be. I have a friend whom is forever buying cameras and audio equipment, but he also buys clocks. They are fetishes of some sort for him.You can only use one at the time and as you get older your ears are absolutely not capable to enjoy the finesses of yet another stereo system.

I see pictures shot with expensive cameras and lenses which could have been taken with cheaper ones to no detriment of the outcome. In fact I see very poorly processed pictures shot by people whom ruin them (and possibly don’t ever realize they do).

It is not that I  am jealous of his or yours capability to spend but is there anything that you will want to do and can’t because you don’t have the extra camera?

When I was younger I was buying clothes, for example, just for fun and because I wanted something new. These days I often question myself reasons to buy yet another jacket every time I see one that I fancy.

If you really don’t have any use for your money set up a scholarship which would award a camera to a deserving poor student whom cannot afford one. 

Good Luck.

“ money is no object” does seem to suggest that OP doesn’t need to chose between any particular camera or optics , he can clearly afford both. The thing is that you can only use one at the time and most importantly, it is not the camera you use but what you do with it.

Maybe he prints large prints for his exhibitions in the museums around the world of very important and unique subjects or maybe he looks at his pictures on the screen of a computer to pictures of his grandchildren, who knows...

Hello,

I appreciate all of your responses.  And thank you, Milandro, but I already have more than enough high-end glass to fulfill my needs.  A few of your comments seem to question the need for the degree of resolution my current cameras provide, and while I did mention the cropping ability aspect, I neglected to note that I often produce large, gallery quality prints or Giclee's and, therefore, the A7rIII is not superfluous, although you might assume so given the GFX 50s large sensor.  That said, they represent different tools for diverse purposes, the most significant differences being represented by the Sony's IBIS, lesser weight and more diminutive size.

But, in the end, you have all managed to quench my desire for yet another piece of equipment that I clearly do not need.

Thanks again

Edited by ron777