Splodger

Vacation in Ireland. Small Bag Big Dilemma

Off on my hols in two weeks time. Going to Ireland for 10 days with the wife. I plan to travel very light so I'm going to use my trusty Domke F-5 XB bag. It is not a big bag: 10.5 x 4.5 x 6.5" / 26.7 x 11.5 x 16.5 cm. I can stuff in my X-T2 and all my lenses: Samyang 12mm f2, XF 23/35/50 f2 and Samyang 85mm f2. Everything fits snug excluding the hoods for the Samyangs, which I don't care about. The Problem is it's really snug. Not only do I have to stack two of the smaller lenses, but it takes too much time and care getting the gear in and out of the bag. As I'm not prepared to purchase a zoom lens (no offense, just not my thing) I am going to have to go without one of the lenses. 

So, bearing in mind that I would be prepared to stack one of the XFs on top of the 12mm, losing one lens will make the whole thing a lot roomier. Which lens would you ditch?

In My Bag-3.jpg

In My Bag-1.jpg

In My Bag-2.jpg

Edited by Splodger
Nonsensical text

Wow, I'm impressed that you can fit all this into the F-5 XB! Going to Ireland, you're going to have some lovely landscapes, but also some great villages and towns, so you'll have good reason to use all of those lenses. The Fuji F2 trio (23/35/50) make a great travel set, and the Samyang 12mm is a brilliant little lens. If it were me, I'd definitely take those four. But the Samyang 85mm could be really useful too, so - I have to say it! - could you maybe take a very slightly larger bag? Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

A slightly bigger bag would be grand, and don’t doubt it, I have looked! Seems a step up in size is quite significant with any brand. Also my F-5 XB is so unobtrusive, and it looks great. Not that that should matter, but… 

Actually, I’m tempted to go even lighter and just take the 12, 23 and the 50. It would simplify matters. 

I think you're right! I love shooting primes, but usually take at least one too many and find I barely use it: the answer is to take firm decisions at the outset. And I agree that bags matter, and it's not just a matter of functionality. A bag has to feel right. Good luck.

I just returned from Ireland and faced the same challenge. I have a Domke bag exactly like yours, but I found it too small from a X-T2 body and a few lenses. I highly recommend the Billingham Hadley Pro as a good next size up. I picked up a black and tan Hadley and it was perfect for my X-T2 and a few lenses, even my GoPro Fusion 360 camera and the short 360 stick, smaller iPad Pro and pencil for Lightroom work also fits in the notebook sleeve in back of the bag.. Hadley is a bit more pricey but I've had this one for years and it is now my main travel camera bag. I don't regret the investment. Like Domke, the Hadley bags look better as they age. 

You will love Ireland, photographically and all the rest. I look forward to returning soon with the same kit.

Cheers,

R

Personally I'd leave the 35mm at home, but I do agree with the last comment about the weather sealed lens.

The three f2 lens wouldn't need a bag, one on the camera, and one in each pocket.

Edited by tractorboyx