Vacation in Ireland. Small Bag Big Dilemma

Splodger

Off on my hols in two weeks time. Going to Ireland for 10 days with the wife. I plan to travel very light so I'm going to use my trusty Domke F-5 XB bag. It is not a big bag: 10.5 x 4.5 x 6.5" / 26.7 x 11.5 x 16.5 cm. I can stuff in my X-T2 and all my lenses: Samyang 12mm f2, XF 23/35/50 f2 and Samyang 85mm f2. Everything fits snug excluding the hoods for the Samyangs, which I don't care about. The Problem is it's really snug. Not only do I have to stack two of the smaller lenses, but it takes too much time and care getting the gear in and out of the bag. As I'm not prepared to purchase a zoom lens (no offense, just not my thing) I am going to have to go without one of the lenses. 

So, bearing in mind that I would be prepared to stack one of the XFs on top of the 12mm, losing one lens will make the whole thing a lot roomier. Which lens would you ditch?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Splodger
Nonsensical text

Wow, I'm impressed that you can fit all this into the F-5 XB! Going to Ireland, you're going to have some lovely landscapes, but also some great villages and towns, so you'll have good reason to use all of those lenses. The Fuji F2 trio (23/35/50) make a great travel set, and the Samyang 12mm is a brilliant little lens. If it were me, I'd definitely take those four. But the Samyang 85mm could be really useful too, so - I have to say it! - could you maybe take a very slightly larger bag? Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

A slightly bigger bag would be grand, and don’t doubt it, I have looked! Seems a step up in size is quite significant with any brand. Also my F-5 XB is so unobtrusive, and it looks great. Not that that should matter, but… 

Actually, I’m tempted to go even lighter and just take the 12, 23 and the 50. It would simplify matters. 

I think you're right! I love shooting primes, but usually take at least one too many and find I barely use it: the answer is to take firm decisions at the outset. And I agree that bags matter, and it's not just a matter of functionality. A bag has to feel right. Good luck.

I just returned from Ireland and faced the same challenge. I have a Domke bag exactly like yours, but I found it too small from a X-T2 body and a few lenses. I highly recommend the Billingham Hadley Pro as a good next size up. I picked up a black and tan Hadley and it was perfect for my X-T2 and a few lenses, even my GoPro Fusion 360 camera and the short 360 stick, smaller iPad Pro and pencil for Lightroom work also fits in the notebook sleeve in back of the bag.. Hadley is a bit more pricey but I've had this one for years and it is now my main travel camera bag. I don't regret the investment. Like Domke, the Hadley bags look better as they age. 

You will love Ireland, photographically and all the rest. I look forward to returning soon with the same kit.

Cheers,

R

• 9 months later...

I'd leave the 12.  I packed my 12 2.8 Zeiss, and my 16 1.4 to Iceland.  In two weeks there I used the 12 2.8 once, and the 16 1.4 exactly ZERO times.  I used the 16-55 2.8 on the X-H1 and the 50-140 2.8 on my X-T2.  Originally I was going to pack one of my two 18-55 lens and the 55-200.  But, after checking the weather I decided to go with the sealed lenses as rain was forecasted for several days of my stay there.

I have gravitated toward a compact kit consisting of the 14/2.8, 23/2 and 50/2 with my X-E3 for overseas travel.  I do have a 35/2 but found that I hardly used it in favor of the 23.  Hence, a lighter 3 lens kit instead of 4. 

I did carry my X-H1 with just the 16-55/2.8 on one European trip.  The weight of this combination is about the same as having 3 primes and one body,  the entire weight was then in one piece around my neck or on my shoulder.  I didn't find this to be a problem even when walking all day.  However, while the convenience of a zoom and IBIS were great,  people did notice whenever I pointed my camera in their direction and either changed what they were doing or tried to get out of my view.  Not so with the compact kit.  I felt that I was intruding upon them. [The enormous size of the lens shade for the 16-55 makes it especially noticeable.  So I often remove it.]

Difficult decisions to make, each of us has their own preferences.  Best Wishes on yours!