X-Pro1 shutter dies? Or not?

Hi. Recently i got myself used x-pro1. But it turned out that it overexposes most of the shots. At first i thought that its just some weird settings. Reset it. Updated firmware, and stuff, but it still overexposing pictures a lot. 

I use cheap chineese manual lens from 7 artisans btw.

Just now i was able to isolate problem - it looks like shutter speeds up to 1\500 works fine, but all speeds faster - it seems like the camera fires same 1\500 again. From DSLR i know that fast speeds dies first, and dying shutter produce stripes on picture (or im wrong?)

Pictures i take on 1\1000 and faster speeds have no stripes, they exposed uniformely from top to bottom, but just overexposed. All speeds up to 1\500 works just fine - i got normal pics. 

1. Had anyone experienced this?

2. How long shutter can live like that? 

I know that it'll be good to have camera serviced, but dont have free buckazoids right now. I can live with 1\500 speed by stopping down the lens and using auto ISO instead auto shutter speed. Just want to know how long camera can run like this.

Edited by windplayer

• 1 month later...

You first need to determine if it is the camera or the lens that is not working, it may be that the camera cannot change the lens aperture setting correctly, or, the lens aperture itself is not working correctly. You therefore need to run tests in manual mode. Set the ISO, set the aperture, then adjust the speed in increments for each shot and observe the results. Now do the same for a set ISO and set speed adjusting the lens aperture in increments and observe the results, that will prove if the camera speed adjustments are at fault or the lens aperture settings are at fault, if both work correctly then it points to an incompatibility between the camera and lens for auto adjustments. 

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem with my x-pro1:-(  Your analysis makes perfect sense... The shutter won’t fire faster than 500th so when it thinks it’s firing faster it doesn’t and lets too much light in, right?  Yes.

Fuji told me that they no longer make the parts for it and I was out of luck... But I did find someone else that could get the part and fix it yay!  FWIW, the repair was made by the infrared conversion folks at Kolari Vision.  

Good Luck!

Corey

• 1 month later...

I always wanted an X-Pro1 since its introduction years ago.

I found a good looking example on Ebay with a bad shutter for $50, and bought it to see if I liked the look and feel of the camera. Loved the viewfinder.

Fuji would not fix it because of "lack of parts". I saw shutter assemblies for sale on Ebay. I looked at videos of replacing the shutter but they were overwhelming.

Found a repair place in the US that would do the replacement, but it took a while to source the parts from Japan.

Now I have a fully functioning X-Pro1. While waiting for the repair I found a semi-functioning XE-1 for $45 and bought a 27mm f/2.8 Fuji from Australia, for it.

Well I accidentally dropped the XE-1 onto a wooden floor and it is now "fully" functioning - I took it to the UK two weeks ago in my quest for Tomcat parts for the off-road "racer" that I have been building for a while.

Over the past few years I have collected a number of lenses to use on the X-Pro1:

1) Pen-F lenses - 25mm f/2.8, 100mm f/3.5 and 150mm f/4 (I had the first Pen-F in 1964)

2) Robot Schneider lenses (24x24 format) - 38mm f/2.8 Xenar and 75mm f/3.8 Tele-Xenar from a Robot Star 50

3) several Minolta MD/MC lenses from my Minolta days.

I haven't had a chance to use them yet because the Tomcat build is taking all my time. I must finish the build by my 75 birthday in July.

I hope the new X-Pro3 turns out to be a great camera!

Edited by Linhofbiker