27 f/2.8 vs X100F f/2

Hermelin

I'm going through a personal crisis and sold my gear 1-2 months ago. I had the X-T2 with 18-55, 35 f/2 & 90 f/2.
Now I'm missing shooting with a real camera. As much as I enjoyed my X-T2 I think I want something even smaller and less conspicuous.
Therefor I'm eyeing the x100f and the X-E3 with the 27 f/2.8 (to start with).

How does these 2 lenses compare to eachother?
1. I heard that the x100f f/2 lens is soft in close ups. How does the 27 f/2.8 work in closeups?
2. Will I get same amount of bokeh of these 2 lenses?
3. How is sharpness compared to eachother and generel IQ. Does any of them have that magic dust that the 35 f/1.4 and 18 f/2 have?

1. My 27/2.8 seems to be sharp at any aperture and any focus distance. However, the X100F focuses closer (10 cm vs 34 cm), and that's the range where softness will probably creep in. On the other side, while this close, you should stop the lens down anyway.

2. No, but close. 23 blurs more, but is obviously wider, so in the end the images might be comparable. For Portraits, out of those two, I'd chose the 27 to have more distance to the subject. For a Headshot of the same magnification, at 60 cm distance to subject with the 27/2.8 and 50 cm distance to subject with the 23/2.0, you'll have ~ 5 cm DOF with the 27 and ~ 3.5 cm DOF with the 23.

3. 27/2.8 is very sharp, but has no "magic dust". That "magic" comes from optical imperfections in the corners of both the 35 and 18 (and probably the 23/2 on the X100F).

By the way, I think the X100F might be bulkier than the X-E3 with the 27.

• 2 weeks later...

The rendering of the X100 lens is a little smoother than the 27/2.8, partly because it's a f/2 lens, but it's also just not as clinically precise. The 27/2.8 is one of the very sharp Fuji lenses, it's sharp and precise across the frame, so the rendering might seem a bit different from the less flawless 23 in the X100. 

I do have both and I like both for different reason. The X100F for the package, the XF27 for the flexibility with bodies and other lenses.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up with the x100f 😀

The X-T2 was a more competent camera with more dials. I miss some of them. It had dedicated metering dial, shooting setting, Much bigger viewfinder, flipout screen and weather sealing. And ofcourse you could switch lenses.
The x100F is so much smaller and lighter and it really makes me wanna bring it with me and shot more.

2018_0916_16405700 by Filip Hermelin, on Flickr

Edited by Hermelin