Travel lenses

Jonny Cigar

Let's just say that I want to travel light and with a max of two lenses. I currently own a 16mm f1.4 and a 35mm f.2 and would like to take street photographs, cultural events, portraits. I would like to experiment some astrophotography and landscapes.  

...but after trying the 16mm for a while I founded very wide and with lots of distortion due the wide angle. It's got some amazing reviews but maybe its just not the way I look at things. So I am tempted to sell the 16mm and get either a 23mm f.2 or 18-55 (apparently amazing kit lens) f2.8-4.

So my travel kit would be a 23mm and 35mm f2 or 18-55mm and 35mm.  what would be the best combo? Or should I just keep my 16mm? 

any suggestion would be appreciated 

thanks 

I have both the 23 and 35 f/2 lens, and while I like them both, for travel, I don't think there is enough difference to make these your only 2 lens. For travel, I find my 18-135 to be the most flexible/useable lens for whatever situation you find yourself in. The 18-135 is weather sealed and IOS, adding to the versatility whenever you are out and about.

12 hours ago, cug said:

If 16mm isn't your cup of tea, but primes are what you want to use, maybe selling both and getting 23/2 and 50/2 will get you what you want?

And add 27/2.8 in between. I think anyone who love 35mm FL as I do would love 27mm as well. Just give it a chance.

My overseas travel set is the 18-55/f2.8-4 and 10-24/f4.  In the past, I have found that I took very few pictures at focal lengths greater than 70-85mm (full frame equivalent) so this set works nicely.  I could reduce the size and weight by substituting my 14/2.8 for the 10-24, but I prefer zooms when being a tourist at busy attractions.  Sometimes I cannot frame the image the way that I want by moving to a better location in crowded places.  For travel to places to view wildlife, I add the 55-200.

My wife and I love to travel and either walk a lot or take public transportation to experience the local flavor, so lightweight Fuji gear is wonderful.  While I have a full set of Fuji f2 primes, I prefer zooms when traveling.  To me, zooms are my friends in these situations for not only the above reason but also to minimize lens changing.  My experience is that I would miss opportunities and increase the possibility of sensor dust (which has happened to me during travel) with primes.  The quality of these 3 Fuji zooms is such that I don't worry about a smidgen more IQ that primes might give.

Too much noise is made about lenses that "do it all" at the expense of what you're comfortable with. When I'm traveling in new places with new scenery, I don't want to be adjusting to focal lengths that feel unnatural and new to me. That's a recipe for bad photographs, even if a new lens will technically allow you to do "more." I'm most comfortable with my 23mm and 35mm f/1.4 lenses, so that's what I bring when I travel. Depending on where I'm going I may bring my 55-200mm or my 56mm for the remaining 5% of shots depending on where I'm going, but my top 2 lenses are always what I'm most comfortable shooting with and I only adjust my kit if I feel that it merits bringing a third lens. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what your current ILC body is, but if you want to go really light and find that the 16mm is too wide, then how about picking up used X100 series camera for the trip?  It would suit your needs specified, including environmental portraiture (which you likely want in a vacation) and you could likely sell it for the same amount when you return if budget is an issue. 

Usability would be very similar to your current X series body, but I would still get it a few weeks before leaving to ensure you are fully up to speed with all the functions and setup.