Raw preview in X-T20 with picture effect preview effect: off

mahidoes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a new X-T20 user . I found a most bookmarked thread in a forum suggesting picture profile settings inorder to gain rough RAW preview to facilitate ETTR.

There was a reply saying this can be simply achieved by turning off the "picture preview effect" under display settings . But there was also a counter message saying it wouldn't work and it said to use your desired simulation (with settings if you want).  do a test (by increasing) and find out the safe +EV range you can recover.

I usually use exposure preview off with highlight clipping alert in order achieve ETTR. But some time I find although clipping warning doesn't come in evf, in post things are blown out and they can't be recoverable. Now I use 1/3 under than clipping highlight warning with "pic effect preview" turned off. Still I'm not confident.

Which method do you use to achieve ETTR?

Can you tell me if you are using provia simulation in x-t20 how many stops are recoverable in post?

If you tried picture preview effect off method along with high light clipping option like me to get EETR how it is working for you?

Thanks in advance

Edited by mahidoes

I use the live EVF histogram to set exposure.  To ETTR, I simply make sure that the histogram is not bunched near the right side of the graph and use the Exposure Compensation knob if needed.  With this technique, my experience is that I can easily recover 2-3 stops of shadow detail in my X-T2 and X-Pro2 RAW files (using Iridient X-Transformer & Lightroom). 

I consider Picture Preview to be very useful if set to a reasonably neutral film simulation (e.g. Astia or Classic Chrome).  I have adjusted my EVFs to render as close as possible to the calibrated monitor on my post-processing PC when Preview is set to Astia emulation.  Then, Picture Preview gives me a reasonably accurate view of what the highlights and darker areas of my image will look like for the chosen exposure.  Note:  in bright sunlight with strong shadows, ETTR will yield a Preview with the darker areas of a scene being too dark to see much detail with some film simulations.  Under these conditions I prefer a Preview using a film simulation without enhanced contrast.

Hope that this helps.

Edited by mma2

If you want to use the live histograms and blinkies as exposure aids then you need to leave the picture preview turned on. The histograms and blinkies are derived from the video feed to the EVF. The EVF attempts to simulate what the image processor will create in the final JPEG.

You are not getting a raw preview and you can't. Using the EVF live before you take the photo you're not even getting a histogram of the JPEG. To get that you have to take the photo and then look at the histogram when you review the photo.

Fuji, along with all the other manufacturers, tunes their meters and engineers their EXR image processor to render a "well-exposed" JPEG from a raw file that under-utilizes the sensor's recording capacity.

If you really feel you need to see in the histogram and blinkies data that more closely reflects the raw file you'll look into setting the white balance to unity. Do you like green? With the WB set to unity your EVF will be green and your JEPGs will be green but the histogram and blinkies will be pretty close to indicating the actual status of the raw exposure -- picture effects stay on.

Go here: https://www.rawdigger.com

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Dimitrisot
      Hello there! I am a new buyer on Fujifilm. I own the X-S10 5 days. 
      I shoot compressed and uncompressed stills. 
      I have adjust setting for wired connection and set menu to USB CARD READER. 
      When i open the Fujifilm file on my PC i can see only JPGs and not my RAW FILES.  I use a Sandisk SDXC extreme pro 64GB, UHS - 1, U-3, V-30 memory card. 
      (I used a card reader too. I can view only jpgs too. See the foto below).
      Am i doing something wrong?
      The camera body is updated to 2.10.

• By Raw confused
      Hello everyone. Hope anyone can guide me as what are the settings to AVOID in order not to be kicked out of RAW heaven?
      I find it confusing....
    • By widespace
      Hello
      I bought a new Fuji X-T3 and went to take some pictures, JPG + RAF.  I used two SIM cards (one as a backup).  When I got back home, I started uploading all of them to my computer (Mac).  I removed the main SIM card from the camera and plugged it into a multi/card reader, the same way I always do.  There were in total: RAF = 147 photos, and JPG = 159 photos.  I was able to upload: RAF = 75 photos (51%), and JPG = 117 photos (74%).  After those photos were uploaded, an error message appeared in the screen: THE FINDER CAN’T COMPLETE THE OPERATION BECAUSE SOME DATA IN (NAME OF THE NEXT PICTURE) CAN’T BE READ OR WRITTEN. ERROR CODE -36.  No more photos were uploaded, even when I tried several times.  I also tried doing the process one photo at a time, and also repeated the process with the second SIM card.  Same results.
      Thinking that the two SIM cards were corrupted or damaged at the same time (???), I then tried to format and take some more pictures with another SIM card and to upload them to the computer.  The same situation and exact message came up over.  I am able to see all the pictures (RAF & JPG) directly from the SIM cards connected to the Mac, I just can’t upload them to it.  My frustration is that 51% of the RAF, and 74% of the JPG photos were already uploaded using the same method, devices, computer, etc., without any problem, and then just stopped.
      What can I do or check for?  Is that something to do with the way the camera store the photos in the SIM card?  Again, it performed as expected PARTIALLY, and then stopped!
      Thank you for your advise.

• By hillytimes
      My X-Pro2 isn't giving me the option to switch between Jpeg to RAW/Jpeg, within 'image quality' I'm just given 'Normal' and 'Fine'. Can anyone help?

• By Igor Olegich
      Hello everyone! Who, therefore, thinks about?
      X RAW STUDIO why not on iOS / Android tablets? This is so obvious! Convenience and mobility of use! Has anyone told them about this? How to send them to think!
    • I wish they release a firmware fixing these indeed !. because the other methods seems a bit complex... let's hope.. because fujifilm used to listen to users since the start...
    • Hi all  A new X100V owner. Some reviews mentioned that a lens filter is required to make the camera weather resistant. What type of filter ? Just a normal UV filter? Also any recommendations of lens hood? Does the lens hood create shadow when using the inbuilt flash? Any other accessories I need to consider?  Thanks 
    • I'm in exactly the same position. For professional work I've moved away from Fujifilm, but for personal work I still love the X-Pro2 form factor. The X-Pro3 indeed misses the point for me. Next to a number of improvements (faster AF, better EVF, placement of the diopter adjustment and exposure comp dial) there are some crucial misses for me: the sub screen is nothing but a gimmick and looks cheap on this camera. The tilting screen is exactly the wrong implementation, whereas the X100V is exactly right if you want a tilting screen at all. Same for the ISO dial. But the main issue for me was dropping the X-Pro2 dual magnification in the OVF rendering the X-Pro3 OVF useless for anything wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm. So I returned the X-Pro3 I had on trial and kept using my X-Pro2 (although I mostly use my M10-R and Q2 nowadays). Now, the X-Pro models have always been niche cameras for Fujifilm. Therefore the launch of newer models followed roughly a 4 year cycle. So, logic dictates that we should expect a new model around Oct 2023. If at all, because a friendly retailer (one of the larger online ones in Europe) told me that X-Pro3 sales were initially good due to X-Pro2 owners replacing their camera, but dropped sharply thereafter and is now way under previous X-Pro2 levels. As said before, this is a niche camera in a rapidly shrinking market (digital camera sales dropped between 2011 and 2021 by over 90%) and it's a rather expensive one too. Priced in 'full-frame territory'. Potential buyers love the looks, but buy an X-T3/T4 (of a full-frame compact like the Z5, A7C or S5) because it's more convenient with better options. What doesn't help is that the newer f1.4 lenses (the 18, 23 and 33) are all substantially bigger and render the OVF on the X-Pro's useless, while at the same time some of the crucial compact lenses (the 16/f2.8 and the 23/f2) in terms of pure image quality are not Fuji's best. Long story short, the X-Pro3 is a rather expensive niche camera with the relative low sales numbers to match that. If at all, the successor isn't likely to be expected before end 2023.
    • Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I have an X-Pro2 and was considering the X-Pro3 until I read the specs. I am waiting to see what the X-Pro4 looks like. A lot of my reasoning is simply that I really like the camera I have and I would only make the jump to a newer model if it offered some feature or function that I really wanted. I use the display on my current camera quite a bit - just to check battery status or show a photo to someone. I don't like the way the display on the X-Pro3 was done. I really hope Fuji goes back to something else.
    • I love my X-Pro2 but I would not "upgrade" to the X-Pro3, I don't like the flippy screen and definitely not the way it has been implemented. I don't like the rubbery finish. The X-Pro was supposed to be the leading edge APS-C camera but clearly that is the X-T4 or possibly the X-H2 very soon. To me the X-Pro is the right size but has been forgotten. I really don't want an SLR anymore but to me the X-Pro3 misses the mark. So has it been a success compared to the X-Pro2? I am wondering if the replacement will return to amore conventional X-Pro2 style format without the gimmicks.