UGO

FOLDERS for Bracketing

Hi all. Thank you for your kindness. Question is easy: X-T2, fw: 4.10. How can I put every stacking focus shooting into a separate folder? Othwrwise I find hundreds of photos all together and it is impossible to select every shooting series.

Unfortunately, you can't. Japanese camera manufacturers have to follow the DCF specification for folder structure and file names, and DCF doesn't give any such ability.

DCF is clearly outdated, but there doesn't seem to be any update underway.

It's not possible as you've already been informed.

I would love if brackets were marked as such in metadata. It would be easy for a manufacturer to implement. Just add a bracket flag and a counter. All photos would be marked as brackets and they would get numbered.

This would have to be standardized though so that software could recognize this and automatically group these frames. Same for focus stacking. It's a dream I have had for a few years, but metadata standardization seems to be a slow and difficult process. This approach would allow for automatic detection and even automatic batch processing of brackets if desired.

But right now, it can't be done reliability and certainly not in camera unfortunately.

Ugo, upgrade your X-T2 to firmware 4.20. Then in the SET UP menu, go to SAVE DATA SET-UP. There, you will now find SELECT FOLDER menu, and finally, the CREATE FOLDER function. When you name and create the new folder, it is automatically selected, but you need to actually take some shots to complete the process. So if you create a folder, but don't actually use it, the folder won't show up in the SELECT FOLDER list. Folder creation can only be done when dual cards are set to sequential mode. Hope this helps.

After shooting a bracketed series, I always take a blank shot; either of the sky or my hand.  Then I take the next bracketed series followed by a blank shot.  This makes it easy to tell when one series ends and another begins.